iFIX in a VM

scottmurphy

Hi,

Has anyone tried running iFIX within a VM? We have a customer that wants to run Server 2003 inside Hyper V on Server 200 Core.

Their IT dept wants to give it a crack, we are very reluctant, and talks with our local agent are the same.

Should we oblige and let them have a go, or be firm and stipulate that it will not work?

I've ran iFix 4 with an SL4 driver inside an XP Pro VM machine and it worked fine. However this was only done whilst developing the project.

I would give them a go. Are you planning on running XP as the "guest OS"? Are users at the server, or are you trying to run the SCADA package over Remote Desktop (or equivalent)?

I would give them a go. Are you planning on running XP as the "guest OS"? Are users at the server, or are you trying to run the SCADA package over Remote Desktop (or equivalent)?

What they have proposed is to have 2x VM's, as it is our understanding that Historian & the TS Sessions are not supported on the same PC.

All the 'users' are to be Thin Clients, with 2x TS Sessions for development/administration.

The plan is to make the general info available to them via the Real Time Portal web interface.

We are willing to let them 'have a go', but are reluctant/cautious all the same as this method is not supported, so we will have to stipulate that any issues become IT's not ours.

I have a 4.0, 4.5 and a 5.0 iFix VM machine with no problems.(y)

Really,that is good news. Have you had any correspondence with your local iFIX agent about this, what is their take?

What sort of setup to you have?
Primary Machine
TYpe of VM
Type of Architecture
IO servers
Special Applications (Portal, Terminal Services, Historian?)

We are just waiting on delivery of the s/w, once we have that we will give to they IT to see what they can do.