basic robot arm on direct logic 06

lane barry

Hello Group,
I have not written a ladder logic program since the SLC50 was new!
I purchased a Direct Logic 06 because that is what we use at work.
I am trying to get two outputs to come on from A single input.
One relay feeds the dc motor the other controls direction.
When I tie the two outputs together only one relsy closes(the first one).
I bet there is a way to group the outputs but I can't find it in the manual.
pls help.

|
|
| button 1 motor run
|-----] x1 [-----------------( y1 )-------- |
| |
| button 2 motor reverse |
|-----] x2 [-----------------( y2 )-------- |
| | |
| | motor run |
| |---------( y1 )------- |

This is the concept

your ladder looks not good(you have not used 'ladder' tags), did you mean such ladder:

|
|
| button 1 motor run
|-----] x1 [-----------------( y1 )-------- |
| |
| button 2 motor reverse |
|-----] x2 [-----------------( y2 )-------- |
| | |
| | motor run |
| |--( y1 )--------- |

if so, then if you activate x1, both y1 and y2 will be off due to second like of the ladder (because x2 is off and so deactivate both coils)

lane barry,

Welcome to the forum!

If girevik's response did not help, repost with either a screenshot or zip your project (all the files with your project name PRJ., LDA., LCX., etcetera, etcetera,). Or if you do not want to share all of your project, follow these steps.

1. Place your cursor on the first rung you want to display.
2. Shift key and arrow down until you get to the last rung you want to share.
3. Copy
4. Open a new project
5. Paste.
6. Save the new project.
7. Zip and attach .

With standard ladder logic it is better to ask yourself 'what turns output 'Y0' on?' then 'what turns output 'Y1' on'? Write your rungs from that perspective. On a larger program, use logic to turn on internal control bits then gather those together in a single rung for each output.

In the DL06, as a special case, there is the OROUT instruction which allows the format you are drawing, but it would be better not to become dependent on it. It can be confusing in a larger program to have multiple turn on logic rungs for an output.

Writing two separate rungs to turn on the same output is a bound to give you problems. When you do so the PLC will set the state of the output based on the rung that was executed latest in the program.

A better approach might be as follows:

X1 Y1
-] [--+-----------( )-
|
X2 |
-] [--+

X2 Y2
-] [--------------( )-

Last edited: