Siemens TIA v18: WinCC Basic: HMI displaying PASS/FAIL status...

Mas01

I’m a bit stuck on HMI (KTP-1200) programming…

See the picture attached.

The PASS or FAIL box should only appear when the toggle switch is pushed to the right.

And

Only the relevant box should appear based on the value of a tag “Overall_Pass”

0 means display the FAIL box
1 means display the PASS box.

The problem I’ve got is ensuring that the PASS/FAIL does not appear when the toggle switch is in the left position.

Basically, the PASS/FAIL boxes need to be invisible when the toggle switch is on the Left position.

The PASS/FAIL box (only one) should only appear when the toggle switch is in the Right position.

Happy to expand if this is not clear & thanks in advance.

Pass or FAIL.png

Last edited:
Edit...One ugly solution I have thought of is to put a big masking box over the PASS/FAIL boxes, this is only visible when the toggle switch is on the Left side (see picture).

Problem with this is that I can't find the exact shade of grey to camouflage it with the grey general background.

There must be a more elegant solution.

Ugly solution to Pss Fail problem.png

The pass/fail boxes' visibilities are each dependent on two bits: the state of the slider switch; the state of the pass/fail test. The more(?) elegant solution is to execute the relevant logic in the PLC (first image; I assume the HMI cannot execute combinatorial logic).

The color is 181,182,181 (second image)
Untitled.png

Untitled6.png

That's much better than my solution @drbitboy.

Agree, I don't think the HMI can handle combinatorial logic & in any case I prefer to do the code in the ladder rather than embedding it in the HMI.

And a nice find re: background colour.

For consideration:
In WinCC, objects that are invisible are also not operable with a touch or mouse click. Objects that are visible but the same color as the background are still operable.

This is an annoyance that has been around forever in the Siemens panels, and I've always hated it. The comfort panels don't handle it much better, although they have scripts that let you get fancy if you really want to. We usually just do the logic in the PLC, like I think you settled on.

The new Unified system actually has a pretty good solution for this, finally. Supposedly has a Unified Basic Panel line coming out later this year; curious to see if it's just lower performance than the regular unified panels (less tags, etc), or if it has real feature limitations like the old basics. Obviously doesn't help you today, but maybe next time.