Windows utility to find all IPs on private subnet 192.168.

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need a Windows utility program that will locate all used IP addresses on a subnet, in particular on the private, non-internet subnets 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

I've tried a couple: TCP Net View and Net World Scanner.

TCP Net View fails to find industrial devices without 'names' or a 1992 era LaserJet 4 printer (no 'name', IP only)

Net World Scanner failed to produce any results on 192.168.

Any other suggestions?

rshffa.jpg

The LookatLan download site goes to a Latin language (Spanish?) site, and I can't figure out how to download it.
Any suggestions?

Never Mind. I found an alternative download site.

Last edited:
that's strange it coming up in Spanish, I copy/pasted the link I used to download it to this PC, and that was in English.

Anyway I looked at AngryIP - still impressed with Look@LAN, though.

I know of another package I use occasionally which analyses ALL IP packets on the network, even those in other NetID ranges.

It is called WireShark, and many versions (including a portable version), can be got from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

I use the classic hacker's tool NMAP (NMAP.org) to scan for used IP addresses and identify controllers by their TCP ports. It also makes network administrators howl like bloodhounds when they detect it in action.

I'll check out that Angry IP scanner that OG mentioned... it sounds like it's a little more specific to this application.

Most of corporate ITs and Norton Antivirus Corporate v10 both treat Angry IP scanner as "SPYWARE" and delete it.
Probably not for main PING feature, but for port scanning option that helps to find open ports and use them as wide open doors.

I also found recently that PING is not very reliable tool anymore when it comes to device presence check.
Corporate ITs started blocking ping responses at switch layers and setting devices to No Respond to Ping.
You can do it simply with WinXP firewall, but any more complicated tools can be used.

I use the classic hacker's tool NMAP (NMAP.org) to scan for used IP addresses and identify controllers by their TCP ports. It also makes network administrators howl like bloodhounds when they detect it in action.

Nmap get my vote as well. It works on windows and *nix based clients and has a ton of useful features for not only host discovery but also for diagnosing network issues with controllers.

I however have never heard a single network admin complaint about it. I would venture to say that a network admin that gets freaked out by port scanners doesn't have a very good grasp on the secuirty of their network.