Temperature Sensor

delt

Hi

I need to measure the temperature of fluid Viscor(similar properties to gasoline) but I'm not quite sure what type of sensor is suitable for my application​

based on their experience can you suggest me any brand of temperature sensor?​

with the following characterisitics

* Range Temperature to sense: 0 to 50 centigrade
* Output Sensor: 0-5V

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I need to measure the temperature of fluid Viscor(similar properties to gasoline) but I'm not quite sure what type of sensor is suitable for my application​

based on their experience can you suggest me any brand of temperature sensor?​

with the following characterisitics

* Range Temperature to sense: 0 to 50 centigrade
* Output Sensor: 0-5V

Thanks in advance.

Sure would be nice to have some details on process ie
is this in a five gallon bucket
in a pipe
pressurized vessel
What is purpose of sensing ie indication only or control
etc etc

Dan Bentler

Hi Dan,

Since it is only proof of mass flow that does not involve electrical tests, The purpose is to capture the temperature at which the test is performed and I need to mount the sensor in the tank viscor which is not pressurized.
In order to read the temperature I have a PCI DAQ (NI PCI-6034E) card with analog input channels (+-0 to 10V)

Thanks for you reply​

You need a 100 ohm RTD sensor in a stainless steel sheath
2ce2dyq.jpg

with lead wire to connect it to a transmitter
xejxio.gif

and a 24Vdc power supply (no photo) to power the transmitter.

Transmitters almost always output 4-20mA or 1-5Vdc
Most transmittes will output 0-20mA or 0-5 Vdc
Some transmitter might output 0-10Vdc but I wouldn't worry about it, just use the available 0-5dc signal and scale it appropriately.

Transmitter outputs must be ranged, so be sure to have your vendor range the transmitter for 0-50°C, so you don't have to get involved with the scaling software/hardware.

RTD's are custom made so buy a length long enough to reach wherever you want to measure the temperature in the tank.

Danw only forgot one thing. If it is like gasoline than you also need an EX isolation AI unit so it doesn't blow up.

Nonuke is absolutely correct. I didn't catch the hazardous condition. I should know better.

You'll need a transmitter which is rated for "intrinsic safety". Most are, but it needs the certification for such. It's a DIN rail mounted component.

The additional component needed in the circuit is known as a "barrier" or "IS safety barrier" which limits the amount of energy in the circuit in the hazardous area.
aes002.jpg

The barrier and the power supply are mounted in the "safe" area, some place outside the hazardous area around the tank where an arc, spark or ignition source could start fumes on fire.

There's an ATEX designation for IS but I plead ignorance, since I still use North American terminology.

It might be wise to find a vendor can source all the components, indicating that they have some expertise in the area.

Dawn you deserve 5 stars for the explanations.
A good supplier for this equipment is Turk.