OT: Old time programming

randyk

My service dept. is doing spring cleaning and they ran across this. Surprisingly it still works, all I need to do is find an old PLC-2.

IMG_8659.jpg IMG_8660.jpg

The old "Blue Goose"

I knew what the picture was even before I opened it. We did our first PLC-2 in the late 80's. This is how we programmed them. I am not sure why we called it the Blue Goose?

Do you have the SB tape recorder to go with it? It was housed in the hi-tech aluminum briefcase.

By the third project, we had enough money to buy ICOM Ladder Logistics. WOW, now we had comments on our instructions.

We did very few PLC-2 based projects, and then migrated to PLC-5. I went to a PLC-5 class, and the next door classrom was a PLC-2 class with a bunch of students hammering in PLC-2 ladder code via the Membrane Keyboard on their T3 terminals. It sounded like a bird sanctuary. "Chirp - chirp- chirp - chirp" as all of the students were unaware of disabling the audible feedback on keystroke on the T3.

Plc-2

Do you need a PLC-2 processor? I have a couple I may be willing to part with.I have a few racks too.

I don't have one, thought about looking on e-bay for one. If I can find one cheap enough it might be fun to play with.

I had a short-time play with the T3 terminal back in the late 80's, just as the company I worked for splashed out on a T50 ! It had a massive 10 Mb (Yes 10 Mb !), hard drive !!

Anyway I managed to blow it up in 2 days - I wanted a printout of some logic, so lugged it into the main office where the only printer was, and connected the secetary's monitor mains lead into it. I was not a happy bunny to learn I had been using it on 110V in the workshop, and the sec's supply was 220V.

A-B wanted ÂŁ900 (GBP) for a new P.S., so I got a local TV repair shop to fix it (blown transistors), for about ÂŁ30.

Then a few weeks later, carrying it away from an on-site job, the "carrying handle" broke loose, and the T50 went cartwheeling down a stone staircase. pretty soon after that the "carrying handle" disappeared from the spec of the machine, and "Tilt Stand" replaced it.

Moral : It didn't survive the mains potential, but survived a 15-foot bumpy ride ! Could be a lesson there.....

Oh happy days....

Garbage

Gawd I have nightmares about that %$#$. Many of the T3s went to a local college. Some went straight to the burner. There are 100s of plc2s in this area collecting dust. I would rather just forget about them.... I have a modicon P190. Same type of program terminal. I have de-cluttered by basement and all I have left is 2 16 slot A4B racks and a P7 power supply. Oh...I may still have a bata max but Im not sure if it works...:)

HEY, that's not a PLC-2 keyboard. It's a 1774-PLC keyboard!

The "Blue Goose" comes from the original PLC keyboard which was,
are you sitting down, blue. Spent many hours programming with one of those. The original "Blue Goose" had real keys on it. Much better, IMHO, than the T3 keyboard.

(8{)} :) .)

Ahh... Now that brings back memmories - mostly bad! Some of my first PLC experiences were gained on he T1/T2 Terminal and I still haven't quite overcome my aversion to Allen Bradley. That must have been mid '80s I guess? We also had a Siemens PG675 running on C/PM now that was a much better machine; we even had games to play on the PG675.

Anyone remember the games? I think one was Snake.

Nick

spent many an hour using the T3, and I know several companies that still have PLC 2's, although I am sure most use laptops to troubleshoot them now. Someone may still want it if you sell it though

What???

spent many an hour using the T3, and I know several companies that still have PLC 2's, although I am sure most use laptops to troubleshoot them now. Someone may still want it if you sell it though

You have got to be fricken kiding..right? I'll give you 3 that work just help me get rid of them. There are 28 local sawmills that will gladly turn over the terminals for a simple thank you.. Sell one? You could'nt pay me to talk the silly thing...:)

(8{)} :) .) I remember you in 1984/85 doing some amazing stuff with the 1774-PLC keyboard and plc2/30

steve