ControlLogix to Burster Digiforce 9310

enagy

I'm trying to get some basic data from a Burster Digiforce 9310 through ethernet using a ControlLogix L55 Processor and 1756-ENBT/A module.

I'm having issues that look like they are related to the connection parameters since my error is "Connection Request Error".

Does someone have a document that explains the connection parameters so I can try and figure it out? Or maybe someone has done this already and can pass on some information.

I basically want to send strings to the unit requesting information and then wait for the information to come back in.

Thanks in advance...

Welcome to the Forum !

You may have a larger challenge on your hands than you expect.

ControlLogix controllers generally only communicate with other A-B controllers over Ethernet, using an application protocol called "EtherNet/IP" that allows reading and writing of data tables (PLC/SLC controllers), controller Tags, and CIP Objects.

The ordinary Ethernet interface modules (1756-ENET, -ENBT, -EN2T) do not support a general "open a TCP connection and just send some data through" function.

I doubt that the Burster Digiforce device has implemented CIP Objects or Logix-style tags. Since they're German, and offer a Profibus interface as their principal industrial fieldbus, it is even less likely.

Depending on the complexity of the application protocol, you can probably go about this in several ways:

1. Use an RS-232/RS-485 converter and use the controller's ASCII instruction set to send queries and receive responses from the Burster device using the Channel 0 serial port.

2. Use a Profibus DP master card (Prosoft and Woodhead/Molex make these) and connect using Profibus DP.

3. Use an A-B Bulletin 1734 POINT I/O EtherNet/IP to RS485 converter.

4. Use a third-party EtherNet/IP to RS485 converter.

5. Use the A-B 1756-EWEB module and the "raw sockets" feature to communicate with the Burster device over Ethernet.

Thanks Ken, not exactly the answer I was hoping for.. I have been speaking to my AB rep and he's saying that it should be possible using the MSG command to send ASCII strings to a device. I'm just starting to play around with it now, as I'm not very experienced in this side of PLC programming.

Any thoughts on this approach? Or does it fall under your original post?

Thanks

It's a common misconception among those who don't use them that MSG instructions can communicate with "anything Ethernet". They can't.

Unlike the serial port ASCII string instructions (AWT, AWA, ARD, etc) that can send plain, unencoded, un-checksummed data in and out the Channel 0 serial port, there is no similar function for the Ethernet port.

The 1756-EWEB module includes some functionality for opening a TCP socket and sending data through it using specific CIP functions. It's not as easy as creating a string and saying "send this to TCP Port 167". If you are not familiar with TCP sockets and Ethernet analysis tools, this will be a steep learning curve.

Because the Burster device has a Profibus DP interface, that would be the mechanism I would choose to connect to it. The maker is far more likely to be able to help support that interface than they will be able to support raw messaging over Ethernet. I got the impression that the "control" interfaces were the parallel port and the Profibus port, and that the Ethernet and RS485 interfaces were for configuration and software application access.

Well, it seems that my unit only has Ethernet (the profibus port is just a filler plate).

My next step would be to modify the data collection PC program to capture data from the units unless you have another suggestion...

Thanks for your assistance so far.

When you are purchasing equipment there is a big difference between ethernet and ethernet I/P.

Depending on the info you are after from the digiforce you may have a lot of fun. You can collect all the information from the PLC RS232 serial port. The serial communications are slow and to receive all the data through the serial port you need to send a request string, wait for a reply, a password string, wait for a reply, then receive your data.

Send me a PM if you would like, I had to do this a few years ago.

Giz.

Hi Ken Roach.. I have a burster 9307 and I am using rs232 through 1734-232asc to communicate with it. everything works great except I am seeing a "format.j$r a correct" in my receive data file... what is the burster telling me and why is it telling me that. Its only supposed to say :1 or :-1 or something across those lines...

Any suggestions?