Panelview Component Emulator

Kevdogg329

I am trying the Panelview Component out to see how it compared to Panelview and panelview +. Since I do not have an Component HMI yet, I was trying to write a screen on the emulator, and try to get it to run a program on the micrologix 1500. I can not get the 2 to talk.

I am using DH485 to talk to my PLC. Do I need to switch to DF1? I do not have an ethernet connection card for the 1500.

any help is appreciated.

-Kevin

In my view 'emulator' was a poor choice of terminology by AB. I see an 'emulator' as doing everything the final system would do but only running on a different platform. The facility provided is, in my view, a 'simulator'. It does not attempt to provide communication to the PLC. It only provides for realistic views of the screens and operations of the screen objects.

In my view 'emulator' was a poor choice of terminology by AB. I see an 'emulator' as doing everything the final system would do but only running on a different platform.
I agree, I was under the impression that you could run the PLC from their 'emulator'. Oh well, at least I will have a program ready for when i get my hands on a unit (hoping this week)

Plc will not run from this emulator.Just for testing the flow of your hmi application.

Also this installs microsoft virtual pc. Be careful with this depending on what else you have running on the system it could make a mess.It did with one of my systems.

Do not install on a system that may already be using vm ware in any fasion

FYI
My experience with the AB component panel was very disappointing. It is very, very, very, very slow to program and it locked up a couple times. I am NOT recommending using component class at this time. I contacted tech support with the issues I'v seen and they reconized there were issues but had no idea on when they would get fixed.

AB Panelview component NOT good

What was AB thinking when they came out with this component series? My AB panelview component C600 experience was horrible. What a huge waste of time. I should have just used a standard Paneview and my builder software. I have programmed hundreds of HMI's over the years and this was by far the worst...sooo slow and confusing just to connect to to configure.

So I got hooked by the "configuration software builtin" feature but that feature is the unit's biggest downfall (although the construction is also cheesy...the clear front plastic slaps against the back window when touching the screen). Tech support will fully admit there are issues with this confugation setup.

Essentially, you program the thing through Internet Explorer browser so the panelview acts as a web server website so when you want to configure an application, you have to wait for all the configuration application to download to your browser including all the tools, menus and configured screens, etc...extremely slow. The "no software" claim is sort of false, if connecting using USB, need to install USB driver and the install not real straight forward. If configuring an application using the "emulator" lord have mercy on you as the Microsoft virtual machine needs to be installed which is an hour process and keep your fingers crossed it doesn't mess up your machine. The only thing the emulator does is display screens and navigate through the screens but can't "run" or connect to PLC. It does do a pretty good job of representing the extreme slowness of programming the unit as if you were actually connected to a real unit even though it is on your PC. Click on a tag or a screen that has not been loaded get the message "Please wait while data downloading" Five second delay just to get the blank box to manually enter in a new tag. As far as anyone could tell me, there is no way to automatically import a tag list so they all need to be typed in.
What were they thinking? Based on my fustrations and wasted time just trying to program this thing, I highly recommend NOT using the Panelview component series.

I've heard firmware version 1.2 is due to be released around September. This release addresses, among other things, the speed (or lack thereof) of the editing environment. I've also heard the IE ver. 6 is the slowest browser for editing. IE ver. 7 is better, and FireFox is the best.

hello everyone! i need some help on connecting a panelview component with either a compactlogix or controllogix plc? in the brochures and usermanual, it says that it can only connect with either a ML and SLC processors? is there anyway i can do this? how? thanks in advance guys!

The Panelview Component can only communicate with the SLC and Micrologix Family of PLCs. It can connect to the CompactLogix via serial communications only, no connection to the controllogix at all. The disadvantage of communication via the Compactlogix is that you will obtain the 19200K comm speeds, and you will have to map the I/O like the SLC in order for it to work properly.

Note: The 1.20 Firmware is a major improvement over 1.10 in terms of development issues.

To everyone,

please note that the panelview component terminals are the low end of their line and are rated general purpose.

THESE TERMINALS ARE NOT RATED CLASS 1, CLASS 2, OR CLASS 3 like the panelview and panelview plus terminals.

i had to have 2 replaced because they did not meet class 2 div 2 requirements.

i am also not impressed with them and also had to spend 2 days
getting the software to work.

regards,
James