MicroLogix 1500 PID question

John Soltesz

We are looking to upgrade our industrial waste water treatment plant. It has a couple of SLC5/03 (don't want to replace just yet) and an iFix PC via DH485 that currently monitors a multimedia filter. We are looking at replacing +24 year old stand-alone single loop controllers. The choices we are looking at to upgrade are adding an SLC 5/03 or ControlLogix or ML1500. The cost of the ML1500 sure fits. But how does one determine the number of PID loops an ML1500 can handle? Memory available? There would be minimal discrete control so most memory would be for loop control and data acq. I haven't worked with a ML1500 but many SLC500's/ML1000's and we are just starting to use ControlLogix in other areas of the plant. What about CompactLogix?
Thanks,
John