Data Management Research

Mfleming

I am researching solutions to track and possibly visualize our machine data. (IE: Production counts, alarm histories, ect.) Our plant, as many others, is trying to cut costs as much as possible. So it is hard to justify a large initial cost. I am trying to pitch this to them in multiple levels of both cost and functionality.

Most of the equipment is using AB plcs and HMI's so I am getting info on Rockwell software first. We only have access to RSLinx for RSView. So for a cheaper route I was thinking RSLinx OEM and setting up an OPC just to dump data into a spreadsheet. For the high end of the scale I was thinking Metrics but I know very little of it.

Anyone care to give some insight on what is used at your facility and how you feel about it?

Even to point me into the direction to see some reviews would be greatly appreciated.

If most are ethernet capable that would be alot easier. I have a machine with RSLinx OEM with an AB SLC 5\05 and DDE work well for me. I would probably oonly go that route if your not tracking to much data. There a program which I believe is free call DDE2File you can download where you just copy the DDE Link and specify a destination file and everytime the PLC sends a message it logs the data into the file. Very easy to use. Its hard to find cost effective ways to do this anymore. Transaction Manager is really nice too but pricey. If you go the DDE route let me know if you need any help. Cheers

Thanks wagnerj1,

For the most part they are all ethernet capable. And I have seen free DDE/OPC programs out there to help log this data. I will probally start out on this route.

But just as you said this would be for small amounts of data. Anyone have any insight on high end systems?

I'd go and take a look at OPC Data Logger
for the collection end, the pro version with SQL connectivity is very nice, and very reasonably priced.

For the communications end, I'd probably move away from RSLinx, and go to TopServer for AB. The InGear server might also be okay for you, but they are much less expensive the Linx (and free to demo).

The nice thing about the Data Logger, is you can easily configure event and/or time based transactions, and is much more flexible then just dump to Excel.

I've used Rockwell's PlantMetrics in the past, and while it is (overwhelmingly) powerful, in general, it's probably way more then you would ever need or actually want. I would definately hold off on ever going that route until you absolutely determine that you must.

For a high-end, robust system, you should consider a true database to house the data. MS SQL Server Express is free and gives you a 4GB database (more than enough for production monitoring, in my experience). A good connectivity tool is the I/Gear DTU (www.igearonline.com). It has an OPC client that connects to the RSLinx OPC Server, and it has connectivity to any database or spreadsheet (if you'd rather start with that).

RSLinx is good, but if you want to save a few bucks, try the Kepware OPC Server (www.kepware.com). It works just a good as RSLinx, and their support is better.

For visualization, it depends on how you want it deployed. If you just have one or two people looking at the data, stick with RSView or just the spreadsheet. I/Gear has an intranet web-based solution that is better if you want reports for the whole plant to see.

Before Surferb jumps in here I will. What I would recommend is:

1. KepServer as the OPC. They have great tech support and minimal cost per driver. You only purchase the drivers that your system requires.

2. Inductive Automation software.

With these you can put them on a PC, and with the tech support IA offers along with the Forum and online videos surpasses anything else I have seen on the market. With their product you can easily scale and grow as your system requires.

I would say go to their site, watch some of the videos, get the free online demo, down load their software and play. then you will get a good idea of what you can do and what you would be up against with MGMT for selling point.

I am researching solutions to track and possibly visualize our machine data. (IE: Production counts, alarm histories, ect.) Our plant, as many others, is trying to cut costs as much as possible. So it is hard to justify a large initial cost. I am trying to pitch this to them in multiple levels of both cost and functionality.

Most of the equipment is using AB plcs and HMI's so I am getting info on Rockwell software first. We only have access to RSLinx for RSView. So for a cheaper route I was thinking RSLinx OEM and setting up an OPC just to dump data into a spreadsheet. For the high end of the scale I was thinking Metrics but I know very little of it.

Anyone care to give some insight on what is used at your facility and how you feel about it?

Even to point me into the direction to see some reviews would be greatly appreciated.