modicon proworx nxt

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
anyone familiar with this? we have a new customer that has what looks like modicon quantum compact and supposedly this was the software used. I dont have this software but I do have workshop32 for modicon. anyone have experience with importing proworx nxt into workshop? I should be getting the logic next week but I was just interested in seeing if anyone ran across this before, to see if I can import or if I would be better off trying to get the software.

here is a pic of the plc

mod (Small).JPG

Thats a 984 compact, there is no such things as Quantum compact.

I'm afraid that I don't have much in the way of good news.

Workshop32 for Modicon isn't too bad to use, but IME its prone to blue screen. Despite that it a little better than Proxworx32 which is notoriously buggy and slow and seems to suffer from an attention deficit disorder, sometimes it just hangs for a minute and then suddenly remembers that it is supposed to be doing something, usually at the worst possible time.

Proworx NXT is the WIN95 programming software and if you can get your hands on it then thats your best choice. NXT was easy to use and I never had bug problems with it, I just could not get it to run under WinXP. Right now there is no good software solution on the market for the 984 family PLCs.

More bad news: You can't import your program into Workshop32 from NXT. What you can do is connect Workshop32 to the PLC and read the program out. Then if you have NXT you can export the comment database and then import that into Workshop32. Been there, done that. Several forum users have NXT or Prowrox32 so one of us might be able to assist with the documentation export.

Unless your customer already has a good MRO inventory of spare parts for that POS then you may want to suggest he either start keeping an eye on E-BAY for chances to stock up on spare parts or begin considering a replacement. That PLC has been out of production for nearly a decade.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I am just getting into this of course. the system was last upgraded in 1997. My first thing is to try and get the system back somewhat operational. I definitely see where an upgrade would be necessary by looking at some of the pictures, everything is just old looking(equipment wise, the install is still clean) and not user friendly. being that the stuff is almost obsolete I dont want to buy software to maintain it if I dont have to. glad to know I can work it with workshop(I agree it is buggy software but at least I am familiar with it). these guys are pretty much operating everything manually or in bypass. the system really hasnt been maintained at all according to the guy that is running the place. this is a city government facility and the city has been in a bind for money until recently. is to the point where they have to spend money now.

I run NxT on XP. I've had it loaded for a while, so my memory is hazy, but I don't remember doing anything special to get it to load and work. To print I print to PDF and then print the PDF out.

I also run NxT on a XP machine with no special installation method. I just installed it onto a XP machine that it had not been loaded on before to check.

Modicon 984-145 PLC Communication.

Dear All,
As posted earlier I also have Modicon 984-145, as shown in diat150 post. Still not successed to go online with PLC.
Hope somebody help.
Thanks in advance.
Riyaz.

here is the file that the guy sent me

if someone could export the descriptions for me I would really appreciate it.

thanks or the help. how would you go about importing a .xls file? I dont see that option anywhere on the software.

Try this one. Delete the .plc off the end of it. I had converted it to XL because I have been converting a lot of modicon to CLX lately and using excel to put the data in the correct format to be imported into AB software. I was on autopilot and just did it I guess.

I tried importing in the comments and nothing happens when I use the file posted above. I am going to go ahead and post the logic that I pulled out using workshop. maybe someone else can give it a shot.