Pico High Speed Counters

Phizzard7

I'm currently using a 1760-L12BWB Series B Pico controller to control a print signal on a continuous feed process. The line speed runs anywhere between 30 & 100 fpm and I'm using a 600 ppr encoder tied into the high speed counter on the plc. The wheel on the encoder has a 1 Foot Circumference and I need the signal to output every 5 Feet regardless of the speed the line is running at. The counter setting should be set at 3000 (600ppr x 5Ft.)

The problem I'm having is that in order to get the print string spacing in spec, I have to adjust the counter setting to 2920, plus the distance between the print marks can vary by up to a half an inch, mostly on the higher line speed which is not acceptable.

According to the Pico Spec sheet, the HSCounters should be able to handle a frequency up to 5KHz. Even at 100 fpm on my application I'm only hitting 1KHz if my calculations are correct. (100fpm = 1.666667 ft/Sec x 600 ppf = 1000.0002 Pulses per Ft = 1 KHz)

Am I doing something wrong?
Is the output on this unit just not accurate enough or am I loosing pulses when I reset the counter?

Last edited:
Phizzard7,

I do not know the Pico at all, but others may.

Even at 100 fpm on my application I'm only hitting 1KHz if my calculations are correct. (100fpm = 1.666667 ft/Sec x 600 ppf = 1000.0002 Pulses per Ft = 1 KHz)

At 100 ft min you appear to be pulsing at 1KHz based on my calcs.

am I loosing pulses when I reset the counter?

Maybe. Will the counter roll over on it's own?

I have to adjust the counter setting to 2920,

You mentioned the encoder had a 1 foot circumference. Just for giggles have you tried using the "Z" pulse and counting to 5?

Is the output on this unit just not accurate enough

Are you using an interrupt? Assuming the PLC has one. This might be a silly question. Is the PLC output in question a DC transistor output?

If nothing else my reply will bring this thread to the top of the list again!