slc and logix comm

You can't.

Since CompactLogix uses a tag database, not data files, then SLC has no knowledge of how to address the data.

You can however, use the CompactLogix to send the data to the SLC, using a MSG instruction. Set up the MSG for a "SLC Write" type of message.

Just to clear up ........ YES YOU CAN

Follow Mickey's link. You will see how to map an array in the 5000 to appear like a data file thast the SLC can read from or write to.

OG

Follow Mickey's link. You will see how to map an array in the 5000 to appear like a data file thast the SLC can read from or write to.

That's right. I made it reading and writing a ControlLogix with a PV Standard and it works, the clue is in the mapping.

An Apology

You can't.

Since CompactLogix uses a tag database, not data files, then SLC has no knowledge of how to address the data.

You can however, use the CompactLogix to send the data to the SLC, using a MSG instruction. Set up the MSG for a "SLC Write" type of message.

I can't explain what I was thinking about when I made that reply - of course you can read data from a ControlLogix as described. To make matters worse, I have done it myself many times.

The mapping handles the translation of a PLC5/SLC style data-table addressing to ControlLogix Array tags.

Sincerest apologies for the misleading information. Put it down to old age, overwork, or staying up too late, or just plain stupidity.