Photoeye sensor or something else

muzikant5

Hi

I need to detect something that's the size of a grape. All i need to do is detect that this grape is actually falling from a small hole so sensor would be located somewhere below.

| |
| |
| |
| |

> sensor mounted below the hole

So let's say it looks like that and the sensor needs to detect that the grape is coming out of the hole. Maybe someone will have a suggestion on how I can accomplish this so my PLC program will stop the operation if the grape is not detected every 0.5 secs.

Thanks.

.................................................. .................operation
-------|timer preset 0.5| DN ----------------------(U)-----

...Grape seer (true when blocked)
-------| |----------------------------------------[mov 0 ]
..................................................................[timer accum ]

Last edited:
Hi

I need to detect something that's the size of a grape. All i need to do is detect that this grape is actually falling from a small hole so sensor would be located somewhere below.

Depending on how far the sensor is below the hole, you may need a" pulse stretcher" or a high speed input.

I second the inductive ring sensor.

I used them on a part about the size of a fishing lead.

The assembly they dropped from was pretty fast so we had them go into a machined funnel and the ring sensor was mounted to the bottom of the funnel.

It was just for counting them as they dropped into the bins

I misunderstood your question. I thought you were talking about the PLC program.

We read 1/4" registration marks on packaging film with photoelectric eyes . I don't know offhand how fast these pass, but I think you should be able to read this "grape" with a photoelectric eye with fiber optics.

You should be able to figure out something with the scan time and a little math.

Can't draw it easily, but just have a delay on timer, with a flag that says the process is running followed by Not photocell input. These allow the 5 second delay on timer to run.
If the timer ever gets to 5 seconds the process stops, but every time the sensor is made, the timer resets!!

Markie that's exactly how I did it in my simulation program I have a timer that gets reset if the grape shoots out every 0.25 sec if not the DN bit gets set and the program stops.

What I'm not sure is what type of sensor to use and where to buy them, and how much approximately they cost.

Thanks