What PLC to use

GMH

I have an application to start and control the water pressue with a VFD for 1 pump and start or stop 6 other pumps 1 by 1 as the pressure decreases or increases. I would also like to use an user interface screen of some kind. I have programing experience but never with a PI loop which I will require.
Which PLC is fairly easy to interface with a screen?

I think most brands probably interface with their own screens without too much trouble. For my next project I plan on trying a RedLion G3 HMI, it looks as though they will interface with most manufacturers and they are also quite cost effective.
Regards
Roy
p.s, see if you can delete the second post

I have an application to start and control the water pressue with a VFD for 1 pump and start or stop 6 other pumps 1 by 1 as the pressure decreases or increases. I would also like to use an user interface screen of some kind. I have programing experience but never with a PI loop which I will require.
Which PLC is fairly easy to interface with a screen?
If you are on a budget, Horner has the XL6 which is a combo PLC/HMI 5.7" color.
You can get analog I/O build in, high speed inputs and digital I/O.
Use the analog in for your sensor, analog out for your VFD speed, digital I/O to start stop the rest of your motors.
Pricing should be around $1,500.00 US.
Software is free and comes with PID and other blocks pre-defined, you just plug in your values.
I do not work for Horner, just started using the units a while back and I think for the price can't go wrong!
You can download the software and try it out from their web site, prior to buying the hardware. You can also define what you need hardware-wise (each unit can be configured to suit you needs, they even have one with no build-in I/O, just the HMI and the PLC).
You can also network if need be with other units using their cAN based CsCan netowrk, modbus, serial, etc)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I need 16 inputs and 12 outputs and I want the psi and motor statis to be displayed on the HMI

I forgot to mention that I need 16 inputs and 12 outputs and I want the psi and motor statis to be displayed on the HMI

I'd get a ML1400 and a Schneider Magelis HMI. Very easy. What kind of VFD will you be useing?

I'm assuming you don't already have programming software or any preference for a particular PLC. In that case, my recommendation is Direct Logic (Automation Direct). Easy to learn and to program. A good fit for this application---has PID loops built in and all the com ports you need. You will need:

D0-06AR CPU c/w I/O $260 US
F0-4AD2DA-1 Analog I/O module $150
EA7-T8C C-More 8" Colour HMI $995
PC-DSOFT5 Programming Software for PLC $395
EA-PGMSW Programming Software for HMI $130

That's it. That's all you need, other than a couple of cables.

I have software and cables for the CPM2A omron PLC and have worked with them before but I once tried to program the NT2s screen and I got cold feet. I was looking for something more user friendly.
I use the YASKAWA P7 200hp

Last edited:
IMO omron is very user firendly. If you get in trouble you can always post here. A CPM2A and a NS/NT would suit your needs.

Nobody has really asked what PLC's you already have in your facility - if any. If you have a bunch of something, then (unless there are significant problems) I would suggest staying with it. You mentioned Omron. If you have a bunch of it then why add a new system that will need additional sofware, and training. If this is your first PLC in the facility then I would look at what support you can get. The automation direct stuff is inexpensive, but if you dont stock spares then you will wait for a replacement. What kind of third party support is available in your area? If you get stuck at 3 in the morning can you get someone knowlegeable to come out and assist you. Are there parts on the shelf? Also, think about your future. What will this system need to do in the future? Will it ever expand? Will the hardware allow you to expand without changing it all out?

I tend to like the AB stuff. I saw the recomendation of the ML1400. The 1100 would probably do what you need. Ethernet communications, online/offline programming, and analogs built in. I also like the Redlion stuff. We have someone doing vids on them right now if you want to see what you have to do to configure them. The MicroLogix program pretty much like a SLC which we also have vids on.

Keep in mind that lots of PLC's will do the job, but there are a lot of other factors that should also be considered.

Russell