Wire Duct Numbering

plc noob

Does anyone number their wire duct covers so the right cover can be put back on the right duct?

It is a real mess trying to get them back on correctly when you have 15 to 20 covers in the bottom of the panel.

What is a good numbering system?

Anyone have an example?

We have a wire duct layout on most of our prints so adding a number to the print then labeling that on the back of the cover was my idea.

I just wanted to know if there is a common way of doing it before i "Roll My Own"

So there not supposed to be lying in the bottom of the panel.......can someone please come and tell my technicians that :rolleyes:

I find the easiest ones to put back are those panels where all the covers are the same length (not always possible) and when not too full in the first place.

Number them?
That is making things too easy.

If it works and you can get it to work every time I think you will be the first.

When you succeed your next challenge will be to make it so newborn children are already toilet trained. Daunting task I agree
but look at the reward
You will be the hero of parents world wide.
Environmentalists will love you - no more pampers in landfill.

Dan Bentler

For the last panel I put together I used 'hinged' covers. So far, they have stayed in place longer than any of the other snap-on type ones. They pop-up on one side but stay attached so not too much need to remove them. I only remove it totally from the duct itself when passing a cable with an ethernet or D-sub type connector into the duct from that side and have to pass it through and it won't squeeze through the finger slot.

Hi,
I have seen where one company uses 3/4" diameter colored stickers. Each cover has a different colored sticker on each end on the joint where it meets the next cover. When all of the stickers are in place, they are slit along the joint with a knife. This leaves a half circle shaped sticker on each end of the cover. When someone (me) gets the idea to put the covers back on, you just match the colors instead of matching the numbers.

I was impressed that someone actually took the time to mark them.

BD

Panduit Markers.jpg

Hi,
I have seen where one company uses 3/4" diameter colored stickers. Each cover has a different colored sticker on each end on the joint where it meets the next cover. When all of the stickers are in place, they are slit along the joint with a knife. This leaves a half circle shaped sticker on each end of the cover. When someone (me) gets the idea to put the covers back on, you just match the colors instead of matching the numbers.

I was impressed that someone actually took the time to mark them.

BD

What if you are colorblind?

Hi Group...

I start in the upper left corner, and do all the horizontal duct first, then the vertical, and put a BIG paint marker A, B, C etc at the top or left back of the duct, and the same on the inside of the cover. It seems to work...the last 5 or so jobs that I have visited in the field still had the covers on in the correct places. Oh and I use HOT PINK paint marker...it really shows up on white duct.... I am almost done with a new panel, and will post some pictures on Friday...

David:beer::site:🍻

We don't mark the covers.
But in order to make them easier to put them back on we started limiting the length of them. In other words, instead of one long 5' or 6' piece we'll cut them in half. Not the perfect solution but it seems to help.

Thanks for the tips everyone

I think i am going to try the A,B,C method horizontal then vertical or maybe the colord stickers that is a good idea also.

When doing panel pm's any ducts must have covers put back on or new covers made if missing.

Just trying to work smart vs hard.

Thanks Again

I think numbering the covers is a bit extreme.
Ask yourself why they are pulling the covers off, to add new wiring or to trace the circuits because the drawings are so bad it's the only way of figuring out how things are connected.
Whatever the reason, there's no excuse for leaving them off.
That's my rant for today!
Roy

Roy is right on!
Too many times I go out on a service call and find incorrect or no drawings. If every time the maintenance guy has to trace a wire you can be sure he is going to quickly tire of replacing the covers.

We have accurate up to date prints in every panel here.

Many of the maintenance guys are too lazy to use them or do not understand how to use and read prints.

So they really should not be in the panels only electricians but i am still working on trying to get that point driven into the thick skulls of management.

On some of our panels we drill a small (6mm, 1/4") hole in one end of the duct lid and loosely cable tie it to the duct. That way the duct lid stays attached to the duct. Obviously this doesn't work if people cut (or rip) the cable tie off.
I don't know of any 'foolproof' method.
When I was an apprentice, if I left a cabinet or enclosure in an untidy state, my supervising tradesman would make life very unpleasant for me. After a week of cleaning toilets after work hours, I got the message. Apparently we're not allowed to do things like that any more, so now I try to lead by example.
Tim.