Satellite comms to a PLC/touch screen

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking at a proposal at the moment and need some HELP!!
Client wishes to communicate with a PLC and/or touch screen by satellite. The site(s) will be very remote.
Requirement for a camera to monitor weather, intruders etc and send photos back to a central point. Communications with a weather station and other devices.
Camera to be controlled locally for automatic sending of photos and a manual override from a web page to position the camera to different angles.
Access to the system by way of a web browser etc.
Looking at using Omron touch screens as there is a video board option available for cameras. The screen also has a web server built in.
Could maybe (?) use the web page to punch through to the PLC to move the camera as required. Position detection by way of a rotary encoder perhaps.
Main issue at the moment is satellite comms gear. The site (s) will be remote and powered by solar cells and batteries.
Any thoughts/recommendations?
Thanks for taking a look.

Well.... Uhh, Do they have a particular "Satellite" in mind?

My first, and only readily implementable thought, would be to use a Satellite Internet service, and hook up a VPN tunnel to the remote site. Then have all the devices on Ethernet.

EZAutomation Dedicated-OS and Windows CE based touch screens are fairly inexpensive, have on-line programming capabilities, and have full remote monitoring and control over the Internet.

Looking at a proposal at the moment and need some HELP!!
Client wishes to communicate with a PLC and/or touch screen by satellite. The site(s) will be very remote.
Requirement for a camera to monitor weather, intruders etc and send photos back to a central point. Communications with a weather station and other devices.
Camera to be controlled locally for automatic sending of photos and a manual override from a web page to position the camera to different angles.
Access to the system by way of a web browser etc.
Looking at using Omron touch screens as there is a video board option available for cameras. The screen also has a web server built in.
Could maybe (?) use the web page to punch through to the PLC to move the camera as required. Position detection by way of a rotary encoder perhaps.
Main issue at the moment is satellite comms gear. The site (s) will be remote and powered by solar cells and batteries.
Any thoughts/recommendations?
Thanks for taking a look.

I cant imagine why you would need to go anywhere near this with a PLC and HMI, there must be literally hundreds of off the shelf PC applications that do this sort of thing every day over the internet.

just a quick google turns up:

http://www.powerpoint-ltd.co.uk/cctv-remote-monitoring.html

Last edited:
There is also a deal of control required and a PLC will be required for that. Monitoring of voltage, current etc.
SCADA is not the answer at all unfortunately.
I just have to keep looking for a solution.