rslinx with a satellite communications provider

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
has anyone successfully gone online with a plc thru a satellite provider using a public IP address?

we use satellite communications at some of our remote sites. we have a t1 connection between our office and the satellite communications provider, and when I open up rslinx I can go online with the PLC when I am on their local network. If I get them to NAT the IP address rslinx doesnt recognize the device. I had them check the ports and all ports are open. Im not sure what else to do. I can ping the public address, it just doesnt recognize the device.

Im not sure what else to do or what else to look for. anyone have any other suggestions?

I have used a satellite ISP at home and used it to log into a PC at work which was able to go online to troubleshoot. It was awfully slow. The latency of satellite comms is several seconds. I would type a few characters and wait...click once, and wait...

I have not tried to use RSLinx remotely through the satellite connection.

Paul

yeah, the satellite is slow, but its the only option. I guess my question is more or less aimed at anyone that has went thru a public ip directly to the PLC using rslinx.

If I get them to NAT the IP address

I am familiar with the use of Network Address Translation (NAT) in firewalls, but I don't understand your exact usage. Can you describe in more detail how the satellite-connected site architecture works ?

What model of controller and Ethernet interface are you using ? Modern (10 years or newer) Rockwell Automation devices use the ODVA EtherNet/IP protocol, which uses TCP Port 44818, but very old devices like the original PLC-5E use TCP Port 2222.

Which driver in RSLinx Classic are you using ?

The "EtherNet/IP" browser usually does not work over wide-area networks. For a satellite connection, I would use the "Ethernet Devices" driver and append ":EIP" to the end of the controller host address in order to force the driver to use TCP Port 44818.

The usual troubleshooting steps apply to a satellite connection as would apply to any IP connection; can you PING the device? How about HTTP ?

Are you familiar with tools like NMAP and Wireshark ? Those are your next steps in solving this connectivity challenge.

You're also going to want to extend some of the timeout values in RSLinx under Communications -> Configure CIP Options.

This is also the point where I take a step back, put on my Rockwell Automation hat and say "I never recommend connecting an automation device directly to the Internet".

VPN appliances and servers are the only secure way to connect to an automation system using a public network.

Now I can take off my hat.

I am familiar with the use of Network Address Translation (NAT) in firewalls, but I don't understand your exact usage. Can you describe in more detail how the satellite-connected site architecture works ?

Im not a IT guy, but my understanding is that they point the public IP address to the internal IP address that I have assigned to the device.

What model of controller and Ethernet interface are you using ? Modern (10 years or newer) Rockwell Automation devices use the ODVA EtherNet/IP protocol, which uses TCP Port 44818, but very old devices like the original PLC-5E use TCP Port 2222.

newer stuff, a micrologix 1400 and a compact logix, dont remember which model.

Which driver in RSLinx Classic are you using ?

using ethernet devices driver. like I said, it works as long as I am on their network, but it seems to be an issue with the nat address.

The "EtherNet/IP" browser usually does not work over wide-area networks. For a satellite connection, I would use the "Ethernet Devices" driver and append ":EIP" to the end of the controller host address in order to force the driver to use TCP Port 44818.

ha, I just tried this and it worked. Thanks alot.🍻
The usual troubleshooting steps apply to a satellite connection as would apply to any IP connection; can you PING the device? How about HTTP ?

Are you familiar with tools like NMAP and Wireshark ? Those are your next steps in solving this connectivity challenge.

You're also going to want to extend some of the timeout values in RSLinx under Communications -> Configure CIP Options.

thanks

This is also the point where I take a step back, put on my Rockwell Automation hat and say "I never recommend connecting an automation device directly to the Internet".

VPN appliances and servers are the only secure way to connect to an automation system using a public network.

Now I can take off my hat.

I agree, we just do this temporary for plc stuff for troubleshooting purposes, everything else is internal.