HMI help

peoplehouse

Hello fellows,
On a PLC/5 is there a status bit that goes high or low when an output card has a blown fuse? I'm creating a graphic in my HMI to show the status of our processors. I've have the fundamentals (low battery, fault file #, etc.) Anyway, the reason that I'm doing this is because the company that I work for requires that we suit up in all of our 70e gear to open a MCC.
If anyone knows that would be great.
Thank you,
Jeff

Jeff,

I have never seen such a thing (on standard output modules). I have used PLC/5 many times, and am not aware if there is a bit for a blown fuse on an Output card. I am also not aware that any output cards have a user-accessible fuse in the first place.

The Flex I/O types do have blown-fuse indicators. I think there is a memory word that has a bit for that. See a manual if this is your type.

Now, many designers do put external fuses on the PLC output circuits to protect the PLC modules in case of a fault. Those fuses could have an added input back to the PLC, and thus have a blown fuse circuit created.

Last edited:
Hi Lancie, thanks for the reply,
I've been searching online for some A/B resources but have had no luck. On our PLC5/40-80 (16 slot w/ RIO) each output card has a fuse indicator if it has blown. You have to remove the card from the rack to replace it. I think it is a mini 2A. fuse.
Anyways it is just kind of a fun project to help me get out of greasing bearings and lubing chain for 8hrs a day.
Oh yeah, how about monitoring adaptor faults on a remote I/O. Is there anything that I can use to monitor DH+ or ethernet comms?
Sorry, I'm still learing.
Thank you all for the help
Jeff

I've been searching online for some A/B resources but have had no luck. On our PLC5/40-80 (16 slot w/ RIO) each output card has a fuse indicator if it has blown. You have to remove the card from the rack to replace it. I think it is a mini 2A. fuse.
Anyways it is just kind of a fun project to help me get out of greasing bearings and lubing chain for 8hrs a day.
Oh yeah, how about monitoring adaptor faults on a remote I/O. Is there anything that I can use to monitor DH+ or ethernet comms?
Sorry, I'm still learing.
Thank you all for the help
Jeff
I know there's a bunch of it for the SLC series, not sure about PLC5 series hardware, I assume the same code can be applied!
I can look for some PDFs if anyone else doesn't post soon.

Be sure to use the correct replacement fuse to protect the card. IIRC, an AC Triac 16 point output card uses a 10A semiconductor fuse.

...how about monitoring adaptor faults on a remote I/O. Is there anything that I can use to monitor DH+ or ethernet comms?
Yes.
For each communication channel in a PLC-5 or SLC, you can assign a diagnostic data file. If this has already been done, in RSLogix, you should be able to view that data in the project tree, under "Controller", "Channel Configuration", you should see a branch called "Channel Status". You can also access that data file programmatically or via your HMI to use those status counters as you wish.

If you don't have status files assigned, that is something that must be done offline and downloaded. You can assign them on the "General" tab of the "Channel Configuration" dialog box. Double click "Channel Configuration" to get there...

Paul

EDIT: Screenshot from a SLC online session, the PLC5 will be very similar...

SLC_Channel_Diag.jpg

Last edited:
On the PLC-5, check out the "Processor Status" under "Controller. You will find the S: addresses for rack faults there. Also, some other interesting info you might want. You have to scroll to the right to get the "Rack" tab.

PLC-5 standard digital I/O is not "smart". That is, the only data associated with the module is the I/O status of each point. There is no place for blown fuse indication. Modules that you access via Block Transfer can have diagnostic info, but not standard digital modules.

Thank you all for the help!
Okiepc thank you for your reply, you are right about the fuse size and it has reminded me to not guess.
Mellis, thanks for the tip on the S:files, I had to change the window from structured to bionary to view the data table but I'm a little sad now. Not only do I have to look at the output card to verify a blown fuse, but now I have to do my homework on block tranfers because I'm not sure of what that really is.
BKottaras, if you find any good stuff please post.
I'm using RSview32 with plc5, kind of outdated but sitll fun.
Thanks to you all
Jeff