MicroLogix 1500 Fault Code

rwy34ils

I have a MicroLogix 1500 with some external I/O modules. Module 6 is an analog output 1769OF4CI.

At startup a few weeks ago, I immediately got a a fault code 689h. The documentation is sparse but it says that this is a non-recoverable user fault in module 6. That's all it says.

I installed a spare module and sent the defective module to AB for repair. The spare has been working fine. Today the repaired module came back and I installed it, only to get a fault 689h again. I removed it and put the spare back in and now it says 689h too. So I have 2 non-working modules. Tried clearing the fault but it comes right back as soon as I go to "Run".

Can anyone clue me in as to what is happening here?

My guess is
That you need to reseat the plugs between each I/O card,
especially check the pins on the 5th card.
Is the Analog output card the last card. ?
Do you have an end plate fitted on your unit. ?
End of guesses

My guess is
That you need to reseat the plugs between each I/O card,
especially check the pins on the 5th card.
Is the Analog output card the last card. ?
Do you have an end plate fitted on your unit. ?
End of guesses

Yes, I have checked the pins.
The analog output card is the last module.
End plate is installed ok.

Grasping at straws now. I am going back to site on Friday to try some new tricks. I'll try this module in another PLC. Just hope it doesn't mess something up on that PLC too.

Apparently there are I/O fault codes that may give clues--located in the I/O Status files under the Function Files. I'll see where this leads to. I have spent more time chasing P.I.T.A. problems than I have in programming. I guess if it was all so simple then Walmart would sell this stuff!

. . .there are I/O fault codes that may give clues--located in the I/O Status files under the Function Files. . .

If you find errors there, make sure that your program (or an external device) is not inadvertently changing some of the configuration bits for the module in question...

Paul

Problem solved---sort of.

It turns out that there is a bug in this analog module. The configuration menu for this module in RXLogix500 lists 4 choices for "Data Format". If you select "Engineering Units", it faults and shuts down the CPU. Even if the channel is not enabled (check mark not checked) it will fault if "Engineering Units" is selected.

I spoke to AB tech support. He said there is a tech note on this but it is not very detailed or clear.

Thanks for this thread. We just encountered the same problem. There is almost zero documentation on it, and without a tech connect you cannot access the tech note. I guess AB expects the customer to pay to find out about their mistakes.

This is a strange one. I made 4 calls to tech support and they could not determine what was going on. I had to find the problem myself (mostly by accident). When I called back, the guy at tech support sounded confused and finally located a tech note that he said wasn't very clear about this problem. This sounds like a significant issue and the tech note should be more prominant and detailed. We wasted a lot of money chasing this one down.

We also wasted a lot of money.. We needed to send someone to Virginia just to solve it. The first conclusion one reaches is that the card is bad, so they consider buying another one. No wonder AB doesn't give out any info on this. They are selling more stuff because of it.