Welding machine sensors

bestbier

Hi

I am looking for a source of sensor to use on semi-automatic welding machines.

I need to monitor:

Tig Weld current
Tig Voltage
Plasma Current
Plasma Voltage
Tig Wire Speed
Carriage Travel Speed

I could probibly find all the sensor from different manufacturers, but I am looking for somewhere I can get all of the together and for example to get a encoder put together with a drive wheel and bearing and holder, instead of have to build it myself. Maybe a company that makes welding monitors? I have tried one the I found on the web but have not had a response. I would prefer if the voltage and current sensors have the same output.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I can look? I am in South Africa.

Thanks
Bestbier

Hi

I am looking for a source of sensor to use on semi-automatic welding machines.

I need to monitor:

Tig Weld current
Tig Voltage
Plasma Current
Plasma Voltage
Tig Wire Speed
Carriage Travel Speed

I could probibly find all the sensor from different manufacturers, but I am looking for somewhere I can get all of the together and for example to get a encoder put together with a drive wheel and bearing and holder, instead of have to build it myself. Maybe a company that makes welding monitors? I have tried one the I found on the web but have not had a response. I would prefer if the voltage and current sensors have the same output.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I can look? I am in South Africa.

Thanks
Bestbier
Not sure if they do, but "Lincoln" is a big player here (they do most of the robotic welder assemblies for CAT).
You may get lucky and find all of the sensors and a monitor on their site or if you manage to speak with a rep.

Hey Bestbier

Why would you want to monitor all those things, what type of welders are you using and what,s the application ?

We have on site 78 cell,s each comprising 3 ABB robots doing spot welding and MIG welding and all we monitor is weld current on the mig units using a ct coil on the end of the weld gun supply, the welders monitor themselves on voltage etc and are manufactured by feronious ! The spot welders are serra units.

Regards

John

Last edited:
Hey Bestbier

Why would you want to monitor all those things, what type of welders are you using and what,s the application ?

We have on site 78 cell,s each comprising 3 ABB robots doing spot welding and MIG welding and all we monitor is weld current on the mig units using a ct coil on the end of the weld gun supply, the welders monitor themselves on voltage etc and are manufactured by feronious ! The spot welders are serra units.

Regards

John
I think he's looking into data collection (some other post on here).
Though, I've seen some of the stuff he is after being monitored in plants using robotic welders, something similar to what you describe.
They do monitor current , tips and feed rate and not sure what else.
According to the engineers in there feed rate is the most important as they need to lay down a certain amount of bid.
And yes, you are right, the welders have their own controllers which do the monitoring as well as the control of the units but they also do tie into those controllers and collect some kind of data which is used by their QC dept.

Yes, I am looking into data collection.

The factory has SAF - Airliquide semi-automatic seam welders of varing ages. They have both Plasma and Tig torches that run on the same carriage. The tig weld follows the plasma weld about 100mm behind. They are pushing the limits of this welding process - it is not supposed to be able to weld 10mm material. Each welding operator has to setup the machine for the thickness of the material.

The problem is that the operators cheat and adjust the settings in order to weld faster. This creates defects, but the operators don't care since they don't have to repair the defects.

Some of the machines are new and you could probibly interface with them some way. There are two problems: one is most of the technical info on the SAF machines in in French and very hard to come by. And I think it will be the best to keep all the systems for the machines the same and not have some digital interfacing and some analog capturing.

I will check out Lincoln. They are not very big in this industry - mostly the SAF.

Regards
Bestbier

Hey

It might be worthwhile giving these guys a ring, they should be able to send you all the info you require on the welders you have

S A F Welding Products Ltd
Low March
London Road
Daventry
Northants
NN11 4SD

Telephone Number Requested For
S A F Welding Products Ltd
01327 705511
FAX
01327 701310

Regards