Configuration Forum

jthornton

Would it be possible to have a forum for setup and configurations?

Or is there something like that somewhere?

Maybe grouped by Vendor then type then model...

For example

To Upload/Download from a PanelView 550 Model 2711-B5A5
AB Cable #2711-NC13

or use a straight through cable (ie pin 1 to pin 1) with DB-9 female connectors on both ends with no connection on pin 9

Use RSLinx 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver
Transfer Type RSLinx Network
Select PanelView as Destination

Just a thought that it might help some guy at 3am who is trying to download a fresh copy of a program or something like that...

John

Fine the way it is to me.

I find searching the forum effective enough, personally. If I don't find an answer that way or on Google, I ask here.

hmmmm....

Thanks for the feedback.
To be honest that would be a HUGE project. Think about how many vendors there are... here's a list of maybe 90%+ of them Then to have each of their products and parts listed with details would be quite a bit of data. :D

I had previously started such a project(similar) by listing the PLC models many of the 'popular' vendors have available along with a simple comparison chart and product details/manuals links. here's an example of 1 vendors page
That project in itself was quite large and I completed only a small portion of it before 'retiring the project'. If there is some interest I'd be happy to post what's done and add more vendors as time permits.

Let me know more about the concept if I misunderstood.

I'm always happy to add more features to the site as long as people will find them useful. I await your suggestions. (y)

Enjoy,

I too am willing to attempt what may help with this kind of project.

NOTE: a self help project for an multitude of PLC brands...even ONE brand...would be a huge undertaking. Look at AB's technote database as an exmple.

I also am open to suggestions that may offer solutions to problems...especially the silly/aimple ones

I dont know what all would be involved in this. But what about when you goto post a topic, have a field where you can enter the brand (IE Allen Bradley, Modicon ect...) as well as the model (IE Control Logix, PanelView, Quantom ect...)

Then when you do a search for a topic, you can specify something in the search fields for the brand and model and have a bunch of threads relating to it.

Another possibility might be to "mark" the topic as a certain type (IE HMI, Electrical, Electronic, Motors ect...), but have them all display in the same forum. And each user has the option to only show certain catagories.

Just spitting out idea's, but to be honest I think its fine the way it is. If it aint broke, why fix it?

Quick Reference

I had attempted the same task on various PLCs that I have run accross in the field. The goal here was to list the programming softwares available for a given PLC, the MNEMONICS used by the programming software and the communications protocals and cable assemblies used to program a given PLC. I had compiled a CD targeted toward maintenance mechanics who wanted to improve their skill levels. This project was started about two years ago and is now in it's second edition. The PLC section of the CD's second edition is still a very basic overview of PLCs. I have attached a copy of the HTML page (without the images due to file size) with the info as it exists so far. It has been about 8 months since I've had time to work on this. Too many other projects with higher priority. Generally before I go to a job site I have to search through several PDF manuals to make sure I have the communication cable assemblies and softwares to connect to the equipment. I do make a list of this information specific to the project as a reference (and to be able to answer questions over the phone if needed). It would be nice to have this information on one page as a quick reference though.

[attachment]

Thanx Dan