Wincc to H-system communication

falgunvasava

This is my first S7-400,H-system project.H-system configuring was not that difficult but now i dont know how to communicate Wincc to s7-400 ,414-H system.
I have Wincc 7.0 sp1 Istalled on a PC.i have cp5611.
I want to access data from whichever Cpu is Active of the two to Wincc.

This is my first S7-400,H-system project.H-system configuring was not that difficult but now i dont know how to communicate Wincc to s7-400 ,414-H system.
I have Wincc 7.0 sp1 Istalled on a PC.i have cp5611.
I want to access data from whichever Cpu is Active of the two to Wincc.
Hello falgunvasava;
Siemens recommends, for a failsafe (redundant) connection to a S7-400H system to use Industrial Ethernet with 2 Hardnet communication processors in the WinCC PC (CP 1613, or the newer CP 1613 A2) and a S7-redconnect software license.
The following link will bring you to an information page on S7-redconnect:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/30142537
The Entries tab will show you many information links you could check out.

Although this following link is dated 2002, it will still give you a good introduction to the use, requirements and applications fo S7-redconnect:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/13650980

If you do not wish to purchase new hardare and software, you could program the evaluation of the connection status between a pair of standard NICs on your WinCC computer with each of the Ethernet CPs on the H-system, and base your communications on the active connection. But this is something you would have to do by yourself. Maybe other posters here would have suggestions for you.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
Daniel
q1)Isn't it true that you can connect without PC to Ethernet module like Cp443-1 without Cp1613?

q2)Also without red connect S7400H system can switch over to standby PLC once the master PLC fails?

Daniel
q1)Isn't it true that you can connect without PC to Ethernet module like Cp443-1 without Cp1613?

q2)Also without red connect S7400H system can switch over to standby PLC once the master PLC fails?

Hello manmeet;
Yes you can setup Industrial Ethernet comms between a PC (WinCC) and a CP 443-1 using a standard NIC (3COM, D-Link...) and Softnet drivers. They work well, but (you can search for Hardnet vs Softnet discussions on the forum) the load on the PC processor would be heavier than a Hardnmet solution, which for large applications could mean the WinCC application would slow down. This is an evaluation that the user must do for each project requirement.
Now, using WinCC channels, you can establish a comnnection between a single NIC (Softnet or Hardnet) and a single CPU over a CP 443-1. I have seen projects where the programmers have chosen a Softnet solution, established a connection to both CP 443-1 on the S7-400H system, created tags in each connection (therefore doubling the tags) and using scripts to evaluate which of the connections was active at any time; then more scripts to transfer the active tags to the screens, trends, archives... It worked, but cost a larger tag license and a lot more work.
So, if what you want is a garanteed switchover on the redundant Ethernet connections between WinCC an a S7-400H system, S7-redconnect still looks like a reliable solution to me.
But as mentionned earlier it is not the only way to do things; you are just not supported if you do not go through the Siemens solution.
Hope this clarifies my earlier post,
Daniel Chartier

Hi Daniel,
Thanks it makes the haze a bit clear.
OK actually i did a project without using CP5611, never thought about load factor ! I thought CP5611 is there for business purpose only :D

And by WinCC switching over to standby PLC when Master fails I was actually referring to "Create redundant connection" in dynamic wizard where in just give IP address of both the PLC and when one fails Wincc switch over to other PLC, no other script other then this ready made one !

Hey i am too having Cp5611 A2.Do i need to put a PC station in Netpro?If yes than how?I mean connecting to both Cpu.I dont find the Exact product(Cp5611-A2).i have updated the Hardware but still didnt find it.

Last edited:
Hi Daniel,

And by WinCC switching over to standby PLC when Master fails I was actually referring to "Create redundant connection" in dynamic wizard where in just give IP address of both the PLC and when one fails Wincc switch over to other PLC, no other script other then this ready made one !

Hello manmeet;
I too would be very interested in seeing how this would be setup, and how fast the switching does occur in case of lost connection.
Regards,
Daniel Chartier