1746-ni8

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
In setting up a 1746-NI8, I've alwayed used a data word to set the card up. I noticed in the I/O config you also can choose what type of input. Is one way better than another?

In the good ol' days, you needed a manual for the I/O card, and you would configure a setup word. The newer versions of RS Logix 500 do this for you, start a new project, and add an NI8 and go through the advanced config. steps. when you're done, it writes the setup words, and adds the COP function to ladder.

So....
You end up at the same place either way, the new way is easier, no manual required.

In the good ol' days, you needed a manual for the I/O card, and you would configure a setup word. The newer versions of RS Logix 500 do this for you, start a new project, and add an NI8 and go through the advanced config. steps. when you're done, it writes the setup words, and adds the COP function to ladder.

So....
You end up at the same place either way, the new way is easier, no manual required.

Im setting up a new project with these modules a 1746-NI8,1746-NO8,1746-NO4I and 1746-NT4
Will the wizard work with all modules I have the latest 500 Ver.
Where would it Insert the ladder code Ken.

Thanks

Im setting up a new project with these modules a 1746-NI8,1746-NO8,1746-NO4I and 1746-NT4
Will the wizard work with all modules I have the latest 500 Ver.
Where would it Insert the ladder code Ken.

Thanks

Old thread Alert!

When I tried it, I could configure the NI8 and NO8, but not the NT4 or the NO4I. You can give it a try, and see if you have better luck. If you have to put in PLC Code, I would put it above the Scaling Code if any for the Cards. I usually put all the Analog and Specialty Cards into their own Subroutine. I would also use the First Scan Bit to only transfer the Card Configuration Data when the PLC first Executes.

Stu.....

You have to love showing up to a job to find that you don't have the right manual for a analog cards. I like that the new way it makes things a lot easier.

Last edited: