Denice net

Gunner

Hi all

I am attempting to learn all about device net but am having trouble grasping the way an individual item is addressed to bit level.

example: An SMC valve mainifold SIU[2401] has 8 individual valves, how ever it requires 4 bytes for input and 4 bytes for output. I know how to set it up in the scanner but do not know how to adrress this manifold to bit level in the plc program.

The Input is I:1.2 &3 and the output O:1.2 &3

There is no information on this at all in the EDS that I can find.

Is there somewhere that I can get this info?

Gunner :( :(

"I know how to set it up in the scanner but do not know how to adrress this manifold to bit level in the plc program."

You have your own answer. First it depends on the PLC you are using & from the rest of your comment I am assuming that it is an SLC. When you set up the input & output mapping in RSNetworx you have to select if you are mapping it to I & O files or to M1 & M0 files. Look at the scanner setup and it will show you exactly where you mapped the data to.

Darren

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I just realized you may have been looking for the bit level addressing for input/output words in an SLC. That would be I:1.2/0, I:1.2/1 ... I:1.2/15, etc. Also you can look in the Input or Output data table and in the lower right hand section of the window it will say Display Radix, change this to binary and it will show you the proper way to address the I/O words for bit level access.

Hope this helps,

Darren

What I am actually after is the bit allocation.I know what words to address.

For this particular 8 valve manifold there is 2 input words and 2 output words allocated.Thats 32 input bits and 32 output bits.

What is each bit used for?

How do I know which bit to address to get a particular valve to actuate?

Please keep in mind I am doing all of this off line.

Do I have to go to the manufacturer each time I want the I/O mapping for a device or is there a data base where I can get this?

Thanks

Gunner

gunner, if you know the word then you know the bit. With an SLC the word may be B3:5 the bits will be B3:5/0 B3:5/1 etc etc.

I am not sure if B3 is the type data file you need, this may need to be an I (input word address) and it would be as was stated. I:2/0, I:2/1 etc etc.

A word is 16 bytes long, when you designate a file type to associate with your devicenet then it only needs 8 bytes according to your info. You will need /0 to /7 of your word address for your bit scheme.

This part I understand...NOTE I have many questions about devicenet posted on one thread.

It seems you know where the data is in the PLC, because you mapped to a specific location in RSNetworx for Devicenet, right?

But you have 32 bits in and 32 bits out, and it seems that you should only need 8 (or 16 depending on the type of valves) bits out to turn on each of the solenoids...

The rest of the "stuff" is probably configuration/status data. You will need the documentation from the manufacturer of the valves. Their manual should tell you exactly which bits do what. I don't believe there is any kind of "database" that contains all of the data definitions for all of the different manufacturer's devicenet components.

There's room in the EDS for text comments, and I really like it when the I/O map is laid out there.

But most manufacturers put it in the user manual or the installation instructions. A-B took to printing it on the plastic bags their sensors come in.

Thanks guys for your help.

Maybe I was a bit vague in my question.

93lt1 and Ken you guys seemed to know where I was coming from.

Thanks again

Gunner