AB PLC 5/40 Communication Question

bbear

Where I work we have a AB PLC 5/40 controlling a process that has an PLC 5 connected on Channel 1B and a Dataliner Display on Channel 1A. The PLC 5 on Channel 1B is no longer used and the Dataliner Display is no longer used. Would it be a problem to unplug both from the PLC 5/40 Processor so these devices can be removed at the remote location? The following is how the PLC5/40 is set up:
PLC5/40 Enhanced Platform
Channel Configuration
Channel 1A I/O Channel Mode * Data Highway Plus
Channel 1B I/O Channel Mode * I/O Scanner

It sounds like you have mixed up 1A and 1B.

The PLC-5 would probably not be talking to a Dataliner using Data Highway Plus but instead would likely be using the Remote I/O (Ch 1B).

Are you saying that your PLC-5/40 is connected to another PLC-5? If so, that would likely be via Data Highway Plus (Ch 1A).

Is there anything else connected on either network?

The program in the PLC-5 could still be trying to talk to the Dataliner. Just removing the cable may cause errors to be detected by the PLC-5. Has the logic been removed too?

OG

You maybe correct about me having 1A & 1B mixed, there are no labels on any cables.
Nothing else is connected on either network.
The Logic is still in the PLC for the DataLiner. I will look into this further. I have limited experience with AB products. I have used GE and several other products because of where I have worked did not use AB. Thanks for the information.

The only issue you might run into is if the PLC no longer sees the DataLiner then that could trigger error logic if the programmer took the time to create error logic. You will also get a flashing red light on the processor above Ch 1B until the configuration is updated. Other than that, you probably won't have any issues. It's the "logic" that is the bigger concern.

OG