PIC matter

theripley

Hi

I know this would sound very out of topic, pardon me but this is the best forum I have come in contact with so, nonetheless I would post this PIC matter querries..

I am designing a stand-alone datalogger as part of our company's innovative project target for marketing. Although, datalogger have long been in the market, we are giving it our customization that would fit our client's requirement. I am new PIC (as I am only familiar with PLC & its programming) & I believe learning it on my own can be done but is consuming a lot time. Here's the design:

1. A data logger will display (thru an LCD) & retain data (thru an internal memory).
2. It is coupled with an RH & temperature sensor.
3. A customized software will be made for easy monitoring of the measured system.

Question:

1. What PIC is suitable for this application
2. What LCD must I use
3. How can I learn programming the "FASTEST" way

Kindly post your comments if incase this thread is not very clear to you:)

Best regards,
theripley

This is nuts!!!!!

I assume you are talking about a Microchip PIC. I would chose a 16 bit CPU at least and one that is programmed in a high level language. More importantly you need something that will talk to a USB stick or SD flash or compact flash. You said this data logger is stand alone but the data must be off loaded someway. The CPU should be capable of being programmed and debugged over a USB cable.

Are you going to build thousands of these? If not then I would buy a small starter board from Z-world or Parallax.

PICs are not high level language friendly and you don't want to program in assembly language.

If I was trying to do something like this I’would check out Parallax´s Basicstamp or Javalin.

The Basicstamp is programed with Basic so its easy to learn and Javalin is programmed with Java (not sure about the controller in Basicstamp but the Javalin is 32bit).

There are several display kits to them as well and many accessories.
Lots of people uses them so there are lots of knowledge in different forums and free source code that you can look at.

If I´m not wrong there is also some kit that can log data into a excel spreadsheet (PLX-DAQ).

Regards.