Proface Controllers

rock

have been looking at proface controller, has the display and plc built into same unit, has anyone had any experice with these?

I was recently involved in a project using one of these controllers. There are a few things you have to watch out for, especially if you are used to Allen Bradley PLCs. My application involved DeviceNet. Be especially careful as the Pro-Face controller is not the best Master device out there. They are a little short on support, also.
Overall the device worked pretty well, but there will be a learning curve. Some of the timers/counters work a little funny. For instance, to increment a counter you MUST use a one shot, if not it acts like a scan counter. The location of counter and timer done bits, and one shots, in the ladder logic are absolutely critical.
If at all possible, get one ahead of time so you can 'play' with it.
The last warning I have is if you download the documentation to the controller, a great feature, but it gobbles up controller memory. Also, if for some reason the system hiccups while you are on line, you will lose the documentation, so save frequently.
I would say this is a nice controller if you have a small application. I just happen to get stuck with what looked like a small application that turned out to be much more complicated than anyone thought.

ProFace Support

I have not used the GLC's yet but have done a lot of work with the GP screens (no controller just and HMI) and they are very powerful but there is definately a learning curve.
For support I would look here: [email protected]. Larry has a pretty good handle on things and if he does not know then he can find someone that does.

Good Luck :cool:

support

Thanks for the responses.
I have to agree, I tried to email tech support with a question that I knew the answer to, just to see what kind of response I would get, after two days of no reply, decided not to try the proface, will stick with omron

What type of Omron screen? The ones I have used are not even comparable in functionality to the ProFace screens and the price is about the same. I ended up taking a 4 day class for the ProFace screens and not they are my screen of choice. I would be interested in anything new and inproved from Omron though.

Thanks,