RSLogix 5000 Annoyance...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
In RSLogix 5000, when you insert a new rung, it places the new rung AFTER the current rung. I find this annoying since every other PLC software package I use puts the new rung BEFORE the current rung. If you toggle from APPend to INSert (Ctrl-I), it works properly, but then when you insert a new instruction on a rung, it gets placed BEFORE the current instruction... o_O

I realize that "append" means "put after", but why did A-B decide to follow the rules this time? Is there some trick to make BOTH to work the 'normal' way (like RSLogix 500 does)???

🍻

-Eric

Dang those Rockwell guys. Its got to be an inside joke with the coders "ha ha, we'll screw up those customers that use both products, we'll have a different action for INSERT, ha ha ha". May they mistaken a hot pepper for a suppository.

Why would you want the default setting for a new rung to be placed before the current rung? I can see wanting that from time to time, but on a normal use basis do you really program from the END back to the Start?

Personally I never use the insert key anyway. I type the mnemonics, drag and drop or point and click.

It looks to me like RSLogix 500 always uses the Insert key the same way, regardless of APP or INS mode. Whereas RSLogix 5000 uses the INS and APP mode for all editing. I've been using this software pretty much sense day one and never noticed the difference.

Seems to me that 5000 fixes an oversight that was in 500.

OG