HMI software on Laptop to SLC 500

xcode

Is there a piece of software that can run on the Windows laptop and act as the HMI. Surely someone has wrote a piece of software that can speak to a SLC500 5/03 - 5/05 instead of needing a Proface or AB device.

Yes, I saw that one and only explanation of a laptop talking to a PLC directly. I thought there might be more available than I was seeing on Utube.

There are a number of software works which you can buy. Archie slaved over the DF1 driver and the HMI software package only to give it away free! Yes, I know he must be crazy but let's let him continue in this vein.

As the man consulting a psychiatrist concerning his brother who thought he was a chicken. He complained that his brother's endless cackling and strutting around the house were annoying. The psychiatrist offered to cure the brother of his delusion but the man said 'no thanks, we need the eggs."

There's dozens of software packages that run on Windows and can talk to a SLC. Wonderware, iFix, Citech, et al....Hell, even Excel...What exactly are you asking for?

I am not happy with this Proface 577R device. I have 5 Motion Computing Tablet PC's running on Windows 98 to Windows 7.

Surely there is software that can run on a Tablet PC with touchscreen that can be the HMI device to the PLC instead of having the Proface type device.

Ok, I am new to this type of hardware. I come from the racing industry. We use lots of electronics and computers for lots of things. I just never needed a PLC solution for a project I am working on, so I am studying it now. Never too old to learn.

I am not happy with this Proface 577R device. I have 5 Motion Computing Tablet PC's running on Windows 98 to Windows 7.

Surely there is software that can run on a Tablet PC with touchscreen that can be the HMI device to the PLC instead of having the Proface type device.

Ok, I am new to this type of hardware. I come from the racing industry. We use lots of electronics and computers for lots of things. I just never needed a PLC solution for a project I am working on, so I am studying it now. Never too old to learn.

There all kinds of options, really depends on how much you want to pay for the software, and how much you are willing to pay someone to program that software or how much time you are willing to spend programming it yourself. Oh, and of course, what do you want it to do? Simple interface no biggie, data collection, trending, reporting, terminals services...

You could use:
Rockwell Factory Talk SE
Rockwell Factory Talk ME
GE Cimplicity
Wonderware
WinCC
Any Visual Studio Package..VB, C#....
The list can keep on going.

Do you realize that programming an HMI interface is a complete custom built applicatoin? Sure the programming software to build an HMI application can be purchased, the design of the HMI you want running on your PC is completely custom.

Remember to add 3 buttons on your PC based HMI:

Ctrl, Alt & Del :p

Seriously though, have you looked at another make of HMI, I like the Telemecanique units. Many people like the Red Lion G3's for their functionality and support.

What is it you "dont like" about the Proface unit?

Remember to add 3 buttons on your PC based HMI:

Ctrl, Alt & Del :p

Seriously though, have you looked at another make of HMI, I like the Telemecanique units. Many people like the Red Lion G3's for their functionality and support.

What is it you "dont like" about the Proface unit?

A huge box just to get 10.4 inch of screen. I know, there are newer models with bigger screens in a smaller footprint. Newer is more expensive. Just want to try this project first, and if I succeed, I will build a 2nd pendant box with a smaller footprint box and nicer TFT screen.

I love my Motion Computing tablets and just see the same type of thing to me as the Proface. The Proface boots to a preset screen of logic buttons talking to a device that does the work. Wow, my Tablet boots to Windows 7 and I can DNC my work to my CNC Mill. Why cant it be my keyboard too for the CNC Mill? In my opinion it can today. Just not cost effective on that one. $900 for a HMI software package is not going to cut it for me. If it had been about $400, I would have been there all over it.

RSView ME will emulate the HMI project on the computer. Saved my backside once when they sent the wrong PLC/HMI cable along and we needed to run the system pronto. And, as others have mentioned, depending on your needs you may just use DDE in Excel.

$900 for a HMI software package is not going to cut it for me. If it had been about $400, I would have been there all over it.

http://www.us.telemecanique.com/products/Automation/HMI_SCADA_Software/Vijeo_Designer/index.html

Will be around your $400 figure.

Get an HMI with ethernet and you dont need the expensive programming lead.

EDIT:

You could even enable data sharing on all items, then send out a duplicate screen via the "Web Gate" web server. Then pickup the screen on your tablet pc :)

Last edited:
RSView ME will emulate the HMI project on the computer. Saved my backside once when they sent the wrong PLC/HMI cable along and we needed to run the system pronto. And, as others have mentioned, depending on your needs you may just use DDE in Excel.

He's looking for ~$400 HMI software, RSView ME certainly does not qualify.

His only "realistic" option at that price tag is to purchase an active-x object to handle communications within a VB/C#/C++ application, and develop the HMI from scratch. (Or use Archie's solution as previously mentioned).

OP, if you aren't willing to pay more then ~$400for a solution you won't find anything better then what you've got.