HMI/SCADA software recommendations

JasonO

Hello,

I'm working on a machine retrofit project, and am looking for recommendations for HMI/SCADA software. I've used C-More and Horner HMIs for previous projects, but I need more capability for the current job, and probably need something that runs on a Windows PC instead of proprietary hardware. The machine will have 1 or 2 PLCs and 1 on-machine HMI.

I know there is a whole host of software out there. I want something that is easy to learn and doesn't cost a ridiculous amount(hopefully in range of $0 to $5,000 for one HMI with less than 1500 tags).

Two requirements for the current project:

The operator needs a way to open a file selection window to browse for a cutlist over the network, which will be loaded to the HMI and then to the PLC. I also want the be able to do some basic visualizations on the HMI, ie. dynamically drawn simple shapes, based on the dimensions loaded from the cutlist.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks! ~Jason

There will be a lot of recommendations for Inductive Automation Ignition, but in my opinion it is a product that is largely aimed at Very Big installations, despite also having some small footprint editions.

I personally prefer Indusoft Web Studio, because I have the most experience with it. Because of acquisitions and marketing, it is now called Aveva Edge.

Questions I would ask include:

1. What scripting or programming languages are you conversant with ? Python, Visual Basic, C++ ?

2. Do you need mobile device access, or the ability to easily scale the display to multiple screens and computers ?

3. What format is the "cutlist" in ?

4. Give some examples of the simple dimensioned shapes that you want to visualize onscreen.

I have been trying the Ignition demo, and it does seem like it could be relatively easy to learn and very powerful. We really don't get into the large systems that it's geared for though. Our primary use case is going to be machine control HMIs, where we'd have 1 or maybe 2 HMIs for a specific machine. I just need more flexibility and power than the proprietary HMIs that I've used, but maybe not too much power and flexibility (more expensive and longer learning curve, generally).

1. My knowledge of programming languages is very limited. I've done a little C++, and have explored Python a little.

2. No mobile access needed. Maybe 2 computers in the future.

3. The cutlist is going to be text file that will have to be parsed out, either by the HMI or PLC. I may have the option of getting this cutlist customized. What I really want is JSON format.
I'll attach a sample cutlist text file from the customer's design software.

4. See attached printout. The machine we're retrofitting is a truss component saw, and I want to be able to display a visualization of the individual components, just like on the lower area of the paper they currently operate from.

Cutlist1.jpg

Attachments

• sample cutlist.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 10
Give inductive automation a call and they can walk you through your options. You can purchase a single license and only get the modules you need which allows for cost effective installs.

Yes ignition can be used for large projects, but you can use it for small projects as well.

From what you've described ignition sounds like a good option.

Quick update on this question; I ended up going with Ignition Edge for this project. There's a significant learning curve, but in the end I was able to do what the customer wanted, and it's a neat system. Ignition is very powerful without being excessively difficult to use.

Attachments

• IMG_5904.JPEG
    IMG_5904.JPEG
    161.5 KB · Views: 24