AB PLC 5 I/O capability

zaids

Hi all..

Is somebody can help me on my PLC5 issue..
i'm with rslogix for quite some time,but this time its really make me confuse.

Is PLC5/20 ever since face problem with the program scan time? it failed to give the output after 30minutes my machine runs..

Hi all..

Is PLC5/20 ever since face problem with the program scan time? it failed to give the output after 30minutes my machine runs..

This doesn't sound like a Scan Time problem. Either there is PLC Code problem, that resets the Output Bit (Is it a digital Output?) before the I/O Update, or you have a problem with your addressing. If you can post your RSP file (Zip it first), and tell us what Output is giving you problems, we can have a look at it, and steer you in the right direction.

Stu......

Stu..

How can i know it is a PLC code problem or adressing? It is a digital 120VAC. The output is to turn on the valve when the sequencer output and degree range is met. i thought the degree timing out,so i change the PLS(AMCI) for new one but still the problem there.

By the way, everytime i tend to ONLINE, PLC firmware crash message pop up!.. I'll send the zip file later...Thanks!

Stu..

How can i know it is a PLC code problem or adressing? It is a digital 120VAC. The output is to turn on the valve when the sequencer output and degree range is met. i thought the degree timing out,so i change the PLS(AMCI) for new one but still the problem there.

By the way, everytime i tend to ONLINE, PLC firmware crash message pop up!.. I'll send the zip file later...Thanks!

Well, the default watchdog timer is 500 ms for a PLC5/20. So, if your scan is longer than that, the processor will fault. The PLC Crash log might be an issue, you could post that as well, and forward it to AB Tech Support. I am not sure if we can decipher the crash log, but there are some pretty sharp AB guys on this list.

The sequencer you are talking about is a PLC5 Sequencer Instruction, or an external PLS being read by PLC Inputs? I infer from your post it is the latter. We can't help much on external processes, but we can have a look at the PLC Code, and see if there are any problems there.

Stu.....

Hi all..

First question would be is this an existing machine that was working and now exhibits the condition where an output turns on after 30 minutes?

OR

a new application or a modification was done and now an output turns on after 30 minutes?

i look at the scan time.its only show about 18ms for the last scan time.. i thought it was the processor,then i change with the PLC5/40. But the condition getting worse.
here i attach the RSP file for you to have a look if the coding went wrong.

The output is at LAD 3;rung 36~39
o:3/1(front roll closed), o:3/2(Rear roll open), o:3/3(rear roll closed), o:3/0(front roll open)

FYI, this is Press machine(REDICON) to forming aluminium CAN lids,

Actually i had add some new program for counting and MSG to other PLC, then i realize it became slow. so i reload the old program..
after a while this problem occur(output malfunction)..

Any Ideas?

that input(i:14/16) from the panel switch. it is use so that it scan for ladder three when the operator tend to RUn the machine..

Zaids, can you try manually open and close the valves from the PanelView I see you have this logic build in. Just want to make sure the problem is not caused by the Sequencer Output.

Also found that the output channels for REAR ROLL SOL. OPEN (O:16/10 to O:3/2), REAR ROLL SOL. CLOSE (O:16/11 to O:3/3), FRONT ROLL SOL. CLOSE (O:16/6 to O:3/0) and FRONT ROLL SOL. CLOSE (O:16/7 to O:3/1) have been reassigned to different output module. Make sure you solenoid valves are wired to the right channels on the right output module.

Last edited:
Zaids, can you try manually open and close the valves from the PanelView I see you have this logic build in. Just want to make sure the problem is not caused by the Sequencer Output.

Also found that the output channels for REAR ROLL SOL. OPEN (O:16/10 to O:3/2), REAR ROLL SOL. CLOSE (O:16/11 to O:3/3), FRONT ROLL SOL. CLOSE (O:16/6 to O:3/0) and FRONT ROLL SOL. CLOSE (O:16/7 to O:3/1) have been reassigned to different output module. Make sure you solenoid valves are wired to the right channels on the right output module.

If i manually press the valve is functionally OK. I had change the new valve and air cylinder. i'd been troubleshoot this for a few day.. a lot of things i've done but still cannot find the root cause.

yesterday i try to change the new processor again, i already change last time with the PLC 5/40,so i try change with the PLC 5/20 this time.. finally, it is now looks better.

Now the machines can run for 3 hour non-stop. So i guess this is cause by the processor..Any comments? This machines is 15 years old.

I'm now continue monitoring the machines progression to see if it happens again.. Thank you guys!!