How do you all annotate PLC wiring diagram revisions?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Twice in two weeks now I have made a single change to a drawing set and had to update the entire drawing set. In one case it was a 23 page set, on another case it was a 16 page set.

Right now I use revision numbers on the title block, so every time there is a revision on one page of the drawing set, the entire set moves up a rev number and all title blocks have to be updated for all pages. In drawing sets created under ACADE its not really a big deal, I have the title blocks automated - however the entire set still has to be re-plotted. We plot to PDF and only the electronic PDF copies in the library are designated as controlled copies, so then we replace the entire set in the library.

However, both of these sets are older sets and don't conform to ACADE, so as I was going through updating all of the title blocks in the entire set for a second time in two weeks I started wondering if there were other revison methods that were being used and what they were.

Alaric,

this is the standard we have.
we have a cover sheet.
the next sheet is the legend with drawing names, numbers, and
most importantly rev. levels.
we have a 250 page print.
when ever we update the prints, we update the legend page abd the drawing.

the drawing legend also is modified as follows
change the number from e1198-01 to e1198-02 - rev level
change the part that says superceeds to superceeds e1198-01
also change the superceeded by part if required.
the outdated drawing also reflects that it has been superceeded.

regards,
james

Make a title block drawing and place everything on it that does NOT change between sheets (your rev number goes here). For things that do change, make a block of attributes that places everything in the correct position on the title block. Each sheet should XREF (external reference) the title block drawing. Then insert the block of attributes and change the attributes as needed per sheet. You then only need to edit the one title block drawing to change the rev number in the entire set.

Twice in two weeks now I have made a single change to a drawing set and had to update the entire drawing set. In one case it was a 23 page set, on another case it was a 16 page set.

Right now I use revision numbers on the title block, so every time there is a revision on one page of the drawing set, the entire set moves up a rev number and all title blocks have to be updated for all pages. In drawing sets created under ACADE its not really a big deal, I have the title blocks automated - however the entire set still has to be re-plotted. We plot to PDF and only the electronic PDF copies in the library are designated as controlled copies, so then we replace the entire set in the library.

However, both of these sets are older sets and don't conform to ACADE, so as I was going through updating all of the title blocks in the entire set for a second time in two weeks I started wondering if there were other revison methods that were being used and what they were.

Most of my customers just rev the title block of the one drawing, not all of them, and reprint that one only. Now of course that creates different revisions on different drawings. If that's a problem, just create a single drawing that has a revision table of contents on it and update that one too. That way you can cross ref that drawing to know that you have the latest rev of each.