Siemens & windows 7

rigicon

Hi all,
I just got a new laptop with windows 7 OS. I have my original Simatic DVD and it says it needs windows 2000 or Xp. Oh dear is there a work around. I did a search on siemens and this web site but didn't find anything specific. Managed to load microwin but it crashes when opened. My other laptop is so outdated. Please help. o_O

I believe there is a virtual "Windows XP" with each Windows 7, except home version. It should be the answer for running older software.

NB. I tried to locate a previous thread about Windows 7, but failed. It seems that it is not possible to narrow a search down to "Windows 7". In stead you get all threads with "Windows" and the number "7".

You might find that the dvd install program itterogates the software version & only lets you install if it reports professional versions of 2000 or XP.
I do know of a guy that installed S7 on a xp home pc by modifying it to look like professional version & it worked.
Maybe if you can find either in the install files or ini files on the DVD where the codes are then you could mod it (copy it to an external hard disk first)
This might let you install it.
For example you might find an ini file that contains something like
Win 2000 = 000xxx0000
Win XP = 000xxxx00
etc.

Last edited:
Clicky

Or if you don't want to mess with the install files you could just install it using the built in Virtual PC.

Or it might be possible to download the WinXP mode and try installing it using that.

Don't have Win7.....yet

Thanks Jeebs - good link. ta JesperMP and Parky for your contributions.
Here is what I found!!!
Loaded XP virtualization in Windows 7. Looks great works as an operating system like XP [but] windows have used some sort of remote desktop between win7 and XP. I loaded siemens on the XP and it all works but painfully slow irritating sometimes and it looses coms etc. NOT impressed. Going to uninstall it.
Next I followed this link Win7&Siemens
Wow Siemens now works on Windows 7 brilliantly.
I have also loaded teleservice and WinCC, both running great.
Lots of warnings about unknown bugs etc so I will be using my old laptop on anything in our factory until I know for sure it is OK.
But for sim, documentation etc it is really fast, I think even faster than on old XP.

How about the service packs and hotfixes ?
I think you can bring v5.4 (without SPs and HFs) to run under Windows 7, but every installation program needs to be tweaked if I understand it correctly.

I use VMware, which is principally the same as XP Mode under Windows 7.
STEP7 runs quite well in WMware on a high-end PC.

I have Step7 installed on XP Mode, i had to assign more ram to XP mode to run it, what i found was that it was a little jumpy when scrolling through a large block of code, all fine now tho.
hope this helps!!

PS. If you find a way to bridge your XP Mode Ethernet and W7 ethernet let me know as i cant ping Windows 7 from xp mode!!

Oh I wish I hadn't boasted. Step7 works alright in win7 but I can't change the PG/PC interface I get big errors. This makes it unusable really.
I think installing onto Win7 is not a good Idea, I await patches.
Longhorn How did you increase the memory in XPmode ?
I think XP mode is the answer.
Krcedinac good links Thanks.

Finally All working on Win7. Mistake was I wasn't the local administrator of the machine. So if one does this remember to be the local administrator of the machine. The link also gave me SP6 which is a later version of Step7 than I currently have. Now i have Siemens in the Virtual XP and on Win7.
The speed on Win7 is much faster than Virtual Xp.

Longhorn How did you increase the memory in XPmode ?
you need to shutdown xpmode completely by clicking the ctrl-alt-del button, then goto virtual machines in my documents, right click on windows xp then select settings, here you can alter the ram assignment.
PS. dont change anything u dont need to as i learned that lesson!!

hope this helps