HUMOR: On a retrofit, you need all your tools.

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
OK, well, there are times when prayer helps.

This was after a LONG day of interwiring, on a newspaper press.

P.S., it did work, just as you see it.

IMAG0166.jpg

On my first look at the picture I focused on the panel components and wiring and assumed the man there was operating some test equipment - I didn't look too closely.

The second time around I see he's on his knees in a posture of supplication!

A perfect panel to send the intern into while I go to lunch.

On my first look at the picture I focused on the panel components and wiring and assumed the man there was operating some test equipment - I didn't look too closely.

The second time around I see he's on his knees in a posture of supplication!

Was that a front end prayer ie "Oh Lord give me brilliance"
OR a prayer at completion "Oh Lord I sure hope this thing runs"
OR a hope for the future
"Oh Lord please make sure I never get sent back here again"

Dan Bentler

OK, well, some clarification is called for here.
This electrical enclosure is part of a newspaper press drive control system, and is circa 1975 <?>, originally built by a drive manufacturer specifically for a press manufacturer.
Contained within the picture you see is a 60HP DC drive, and the master controls for the entire press.
Those are NOT spare parts in the bottom...they are small sub-panels that the original OEM did not have room for anywhere else.
This specific site is no longer in service, but plenty just like it are still out there, running, and printing newspapers daily around the world.
My involvement with this was to retrofit the press with digital DC drives.
Now, unlike almost any other equipment we've collectively worked on, newspaper printing presses cannot simply be turned off for a few days of rewiring....this retrofit had to happen on a running press, with power-down periods available only one day a week, for ~18 hours. So, its a little like getting your tires changed while waiting for a red light.
My retrofit, however, was not the first retrofit. If you look carefully, you'll see a bundle of yellow wires coming into the top-right corner. THEY are a set of parallel control wires to what was called a 'BACKUP master' panel, which is out of frame.
And, I wasn't there when this photo was taken, so I'll have to ask those present what they were thinking, but the previous quotes are likely accurate.
Happy Holidays.
jeff