anyone else try to put humor into their programs?

"anyone else try to put humor into their programs?"

Odds are just about every program I have ever wrote will make someone laugh... when they see it "What the hell was he thinking"

I constantly put in humour in my programming...

One of our first laser markers had a Dr Evil button that said "Fire the Laser", and the Dr Evil clan laughing while the laser would run.

I had one customer find a comment I left for a Part Selection description that was impossible to get to that said "How did you even manage to screw this up?". The customer had a great laugth when he saw it.
Some take it better than others.

Humor in my comments are rarely seen by anybody else. Rung 0008
"If we divide 6000 by the Cycle time in milliseconds, then that gives us the Cycles per minute. But I have to make sure that the cycle time is not zero so that we don't divide by zero and blow up the Universe."
This comment is the funniest because 6000.0/(ms/cycle) is like, cycles/(tenths of a minute).

The Quake 3 Arena fast inverse square root hack comes to mind all of a sudden. There are the comments in the function that are funny, especially since this is a popular video game, but what really made me lol was the fact that they declared a constant:
Code:
const float threehalfs = 1.5f;

then a few lines later:

Code:
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1);

That seemingly random hard coded number vs threehalfs got me.

The Quake 3 Arena fast inverse square root hack comes to mind all of a sudden. There are the comments in the function that are funny, especially since this is a popular video game, but what really made me lol was the fact that they declared a constant:
Code:
const float threehalfs = 1.5f;

then a few lines later:

Code:
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1);

That seemingly random hard coded number vs threehalfs got me.
I always thought that was John Carmack's code (a lowkey hero of mine) but I just learned it was actually someone else working on the project.

When I was starting out, we used to have different people "battling" back and forth with code changes.

One rung comment that I remember went something like "Bob's revision to steve's program because steve's program wasn't good enough". Comment was added by Steve. :ROFLMAO:

There was a foreman at a company I occasionally worked at. He was a real nasty man.
He was permanently in the main office ratting people our for minor infringements.
He kept a notepad in his pocket of all things he saw. Plus he wrote down the exact times contractors came and left.
I was called out there at 02:00AM to find a fault - which I rectified in 15 mins.
Next day he studied the cctv to see how long I was there.
When my bill came for 4 Hours (standard rate for call-outs) he told the bosses I was fiddling my time and I was called to explain.
There was no trouble, they accepted the rate.

One Saturday afternoon, he didn't know I was there. I came across him and a few of his yes men playing cards and drinking beer. I took some photo's and put them on the main HMI - way into the pages where nobody ever went.

He was always saying nasty things about me and to me, mainly how I was constantly ripping the company off. He had several pages on me in his notebook.

One day while he was telling me how I'd never work there again unless I did something illegal to the control circuits (I won't go in to that) I showed him the HMI pictures.

His demeanour changed instantly. He knew it was a sacking offence for him and his cronies. I never had any trouble from him again.

At a company I once worked for, on sales presentation drawings, we included a figure of an operator to give the customer an idea of the size of the machine. The standard figure was a guy with a beer gut and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.