Compact Logix "losing" program

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm just looking to see if anyone in the forum has had any issues with CompactLogix PLC's appearing to lose programs? If you have, I would be curious about any information you would be willing to provide regarding PLC model, I/O, power supply and firmware.

We have had the issue on 10 or so PLC's (L31 and L32E) and all seem to happen when they have been powered down for 15 minutes or more. And so far, it has only happened one time per PLC. The PLC looks just like when a firmware has been loaded (with no program). No red lights, no faults.

I'm not looking so much for help on solving the issue, but information to try and see if there are similarities between what we are seeing and what others might be seeing (or if we are the only ones seeing it).

Party on...

Dustin

May not be related, but there was issues with the controllogix range, and certain models & firmware versions.

The issue that we had, was that the PLC just dropped its memory. There is tech notes on the subject, something along the lines of after 3-6 months of continuous operation, a non-recoverable error will be generated and processor loses its memory.

May pay to check knowledgebase etc??

May not be related, but there was issues with the controllogix range, and certain models & firmware versions.

The issue that we had, was that the PLC just dropped its memory. There is tech notes on the subject, something along the lines of after 3-6 months of continuous operation, a non-recoverable error will be generated and processor loses its memory.

May pay to check knowledgebase etc??

Like I said in my post, it only seems to happen when powered off for periods of time. It does not fault.

And trust me, I have been through the knowledge base and beyond.

Lol, of course.

This problem has happened on controllers that range from a day old to a year old. Rest assured that we have spent months tracking and testing to get to the root of the problem.

Again, this post was not intended to get troubleshooting suggestions, only to see if others have seen the same issue.

Yes have seen that on L32's. Was happening randomly every few months when HMI values were changed by an operator - could never explain it. Ended up backing up the project to the compact card then getting the plc to boot from that after a japanese reset.

Yes have seen that on L32's. Was happening randomly every few months when HMI values were changed by an operator - could never explain it. Ended up backing up the project to the compact card then getting the plc to boot from that after a japanese reset.

This is exactly what I'm after!

Would you be willing to provide me with a little info about it? Did it happen while it was powered up, or during power down/power up?

Also could you tell me what firmware, I/O, Power supply? Do you remember what the lights looked like on the PLC when you found it that way?

If you can provide me with any of the above, that would be great!