Question for New Zealanders

KP_EENG

Lifetime Supporting Member
Could someone in New Zealand please tell me what NZCE means? I did a web search and gather that it is a degree or certification, but I would like more detail if possible.

Best regards

New Zealand Certificate in Engineering.

There are a few different fields that this can refer to, electrical/mechanical/construction.

The course itself is similar to a diploma style, or below a university degree, but is a well recognized qual, and to a certain extent, sometimes treated as an equivalent with the right experience.

Why do you ask? o_O

Thank you for the clarification. I ask because I am considering relocating to New Zealand within the next few years and I wanted to have a better understanding of the requirements to work as an electrical engineer in New Zealand.

Also, I had read on the Internet that any electrical engineer that can be exposed to terminals above 50 VAC or 120 VDC are required to be registered. What registration is required? Is this similar to a Professional Engineering registration or to obtaining an electrical license? Sorry about all of the questions, but the requirements are pretty confusing.

Best regards

Also, I had read on the Internet that any electrical engineer that can be exposed to terminals above 50 VAC or 120 VDC are required to be registered.
There are a couple of different levels for doing live work. There are Electrical Service Technicians, electricians, as well as Linesman.
The elec service tech's are for the likes of appliance techs & HVAC type technicians, that don't work in the electrical industry primarily, but are sometimes required to test, disconnect-re-connect etc.

What registration is required? Is this similar to a Professional Engineering registration or to obtaining an electrical license? Sorry about all of the questions, but the requirements are pretty confusing.
I would thing that it would be similar to obtaining an electrical license. To work in the electrical industry for reward as an electrician, you need to be registered, and have a practicing license.
To work as an Electrical Engineer, you would not be expected to do live work, but if you did have registration, you would possibly looked upon favorably.
Most of it relates to knowing the local regulations & wiring rules, we follow the Australian Standards to a certain extent.

You may or may not have found this site http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/ , but this is the body that looks after all the electrical related registrations in this country anyway, it may help..

Last edited:
This is a link to the registration body in NZ
http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/

The standards we work to is the AS/NZS 3000 Electrical Standards .
The highest Electrical registration is the Electrical Inspector then Electrician then Elecctrical service

A BE Batchelor of Engineering is a 4 year University course Level 7 or 8
A Diploma used to be NZCE is worth about half of the BE is level 6
A pass of the above two does not give you an Automatic Electrical registration unless you can provide proof of working under the guidance of Electrician or inspector for a prescribed time in order to make sure the codes are followed.

An Electrician does an Apprenticeship To level 4 and on satisfactory completion gains a registration

An Inspector would be a level 5 and must have 3 years post apprentice experience
This is what my registration is

Last edited:
LostControl and Gil47:

It is confusing to me because I do hold a 4 year University degree in Electrical Engineering, but in my daily routine I am constantly working around live electricity up to 480 VAC and I am not required to have an electrical license, which makes no sense because I have to design to the NEC and NFPA79 standards and I am expected to ensure that the work of contractors and our own electricians in our facility meets the standards. When I read that New Zealand required engineers exposed to certain levels of live voltage to be registered, I thought that it was a good idea but I didn't know if I would have to be registered before obtaining a position in New Zealand or if I could get a job and then work on the registration. The information that you have provided helps quite a bit.

Thanks for the information and the website reference. I will continue with my research at these websites. I do appreciate your assistance.

Best regards

Last edited:
but I didn't know if I would have to be registered before obtaining a position in New Zealand or if I could get a job and then work on the registration.
I doubt that you would have to have an electrical registration to get a job, and would think that you would be able to work on getting the registration when you are here, an employer would more than likely assist you in obtaining this.

I am not sure how your EE quals would x-reference to the equivalent here, that would be something that you would have to deal with yourself, but there may be some more interesting reading here. http://www.eea.co.nz/MainMenu

I doubt that you would have to have an electrical registration to get a job, and would think that you would be able to work on getting the registration when you are here, an employer would more than likely assist you in obtaining this.

This seems reasonable. Again, thank you for your input.

Regards