ABB + MVI56 mcm + CLX

the eye

Hi

I have 2 types of processors, the first a Control Logix, the second an ABB, the idea is to communicate through a communication module MVI56 MCM.

I would like to know if possible?

and if possible, the ABB processor needs some special configuration to add the module?

greetings.

Hello, eye;
the MVI56-MCM is a Controllogix module for Modbus RTU master and slave connunications, produced by Prosoft Technologies. It can use RS-232 or RS-485 physical layers for data exchanges.

So the question is, can your ABB PLC support Modbus RTU communications, either as master or as slave, on RS-232 or RS485 wiring? What model processor do you have, what serial interfaces (if any) are available?
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hello, dchartier

the information that you put about the module it's correct.

the model of the procesor is ABB 07kr51-f12 advant controller 31 and i'm trying to comunicate by the Minidin 8 port, wich is a modbus port through RS-485.

i realy want to know if the module being a CLX technology can comunicate whit the ABB procesor ?

Hello, dchartier

the information that you put about the module it's correct.

the model of the procesor is ABB 07kr51-f12 advant controller 31 and i'm trying to comunicate by the Minidin 8 port, wich is a modbus port through RS-485.

i realy want to know if the module being a CLX technology can comunicate whit the ABB procesor ?

Hello eye;
It doesn't matter what backplane the communicatiopn processors attach to, as long as they support the same protocol. So yes, simply set one of the processors as Modbus RTU master, say the MVI56-MCM, set up the Modbus jobs in the Controllogix application, and set the Advant as slave. You will exchange over Modbus registers (example: registers 30001-30120 for Modbus Function 4 requested from the master to the slave), which you will have to transfer to your CPU memory areas.
Follow the manuals for each communication processor to make sure you understand how the Modbus protocol is supported by the different CPUs, and it should work pretty well.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier