PanelView Plus

shoelesscraig

Ok, I need someone to talk to me like I'm 4 years old (I act like it sometimes anyways :)).

I have lots of experience dealing with the older PanelView terminals that use PanelBuilder 32 software. However, a lot of the new machines that my plant is receiving have PanelView Plus terminals on them. So, I have been researching what software I need in order to be able to program these terminals. I did a lot of reading on AB's website, but either it isn't written clearly, or I'm just dumb, because I don't really understand it. I believe I need FactoryTalk View Machine Edition, but I'm not sure. I also read some stuff about FactoryTalk View Studio but I'm not sure if these products are related, or if one is included in the other or what. Someone help me out!

PV 550,600,1000,without any suffix ,need Panelbuilder32
pv1000,1200 plus ;with suffix "+",need factorytalk view studio.
the version below and include 4.0 called rsview studio,from version 5.0,called factorytalk view studio.
pv1000,1200 with "e" suffix,need panelbuilder1400e software.

"Both FactoryTalk® View Site Edition and FactoryTalk View Machine Edition share a common design environment called FactoryTalk View Studio that allows you to create applications in a single design environment."

View Studio includes View SE and View ME. FactoryTalk View Machine Edition is all you need for working with Panelview Plus.

"Both FactoryTalk® View Site Edition and FactoryTalk View Machine Edition share a common design environment called FactoryTalk View Studio that allows you to create applications in a single design environment."

View Studio includes View SE and View ME. FactoryTalk View Machine Edition is all you need for working with Panelview Plus.

What is the main difference between Site Edition and Machine edition, the fact that Site gives you distributed application creation ability? Is the Machine Edition meant only for programming Panelviews that are standalone?

I will eventually have to have our PV 1500 plus communicate controls back to a ControlLogix PLC, so will Machine Edition be enough, or do I have to use Site Edition?

Last edited:
Is the Machine Edition meant only for programming Panelviews that are standalone?

Not necessarily. It is possible to run an ME application on a PC, using FactoryTalk View ME Station. One cool thing is that you can run the exact same application on both a panelview and on a PC. The majority of ME applications are written for the PV+ though.

FactoryTalk View SE is geared more toward distributed PC based SCADA applications. There are two different flavors of SE applications (Network and Local). Network applications are designed to be distributed across a network (as the name implies), and Local applications are designed to be run and used on a single PC.

SE can be distributed or stand alone. The stand alone is called se station but you create both with the same software facory talk view se. Me is primarily for panelviews as a panelview will not run a se application. SE is primarily for panel computers,servers and thin clients ,etc. You can run ME on a panel pc or industrial computer but you have to buy a ME runtime liscense which is built in when using a panelview. View studio will do SE distributed,SE station and Me applications.

I hope this helps.

I like using SE with Panel PC myself. We use all 17 inch versaview screens as they are cheaper than a 10 panelview.

Plus when using a pc you are not locked to one hmi but with a panelview you are. If i don't like factory talk view anylonger i can run win cc,Factory PMI,etc

Thanks, Jimbo and PLC Kid

For the current project I am working on, I only need to communicate between a PV 1500+ and a Logix5561 (allowing an operator to control machinery using pushbuttons and toggles on the screen).

I plan to develop the touchscreens on my PC, and then transfer a compiled file into the PV, where it will communicate only with the controller during regular use.

SE is primarily for panel computers,servers and thin clients ,etc. You can run ME on a panel pc or industrial computer but you have to buy a ME runtime liscense which is built in when using a panelview. View studio will do SE distributed,SE station and Me applications.

I hope this helps.

Yes, it is very helpful! Within what I quoted from you, you mention that SE is meant to program "..panel computers..". Am I to assume that the Panelview 1500 Plus falls into that category? It is NOT the CE version

Last edited:
A brief clarification:

FactoryTalk View SE Servers and Clients are components of a large-scale HMI application that runs on Windows XP computers. Whether the computers are panel-type or laptops or tablets or servers or desktop towers doesn't matter.

FactoryTalk View ME is a standalone program that can run on an XP computer of any type, but most commonly runs on PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus CE terminals.

Functionally: FactoryTalk View Studio ME = PanelBuilder32

FactoryTalk View Studio SE always includes the ME functionality, so users of the big software can also make projects for the little panels. If you are not going to run SE projects, you don't need the full-powered Studio and can use the much-less-expensive Machine Edition of Studio.

FactoryTalk View Studio SE always includes the ME functionality, so users of the big software can also make projects for the little panels. If you are not going to run SE projects, you don't need the full-powered Studio and can use the much-less-expensive Machine Edition of Studio.

A little clarification: Studio (SE or ME) is not needed at all if you plan to just run programs created by others. You do need the client software (FactoryTalk View SE Station or FactoryTalk View ME Station) or a PV+ terminal (ME only).

If you want to develop (or modify previously developed) applications, then you need the appropriate version of the Studio software.