Allen Bradley 1771-db Basic Module Battery ?

bbear

I have a simple question to someone that has experience with
Allen Bradley 1771-db Basic Module Battery. My question is can I replace the battery during operation? I am not sure if it would halt the module. The device is used in Product Handling Process where it gets weight data from a scale and sends it to the PLC5.

If memory serves, from the one time I had to do this, the module must be removed from the rack to access the battery. So you must power down the rack for this procedure. The module should retain it's memory during the battery swap, but it's a good idea to make sure you have a copy of the module program before proceeding.

This module has the battery access on the front of the card. Twist a holder and it releases. I have a backup and a procedure I made from yesterday. I never knew about this device until yesterday of ever seen one. We had a power outage and lost the program due to dead memory battery. The backup program was incomplete, busy day. I replaced the battery during this with one on hand. I now have a fresh battery but not sure if it an be replaced without causing issues.

Yes, if you try to remove power from the card when you change the battery you will lose the program. If you want the program to stay, you MUST change it with the power on... I've done it many times.

The Allen-Bradley BASIC module with the twist-cover battery hatch on the front is the 1771-DB Series A. I think it dates from the Classic PLC-5 era in the late 80's.

And yes, the battery was designed to be inserted and removed while the module is running. Dead batteries + power outages + missing archives = the usual fire drill.

There is a capacitor on the card that will hold the program for 10-20 mins I have done this many times & never lost a program yet

I replaced the battery moments ago while operating without problems. Thanks. This site is great for help.

I was going to tell you that I was pretty sure you could change it on the fly but I didn't want to be wrong and ruin your day. :)