Profibus DP to Siemens CP-340 in ET200M

judah

Hello,
I am trying to communicate to an RS485 device via a CP-340 RS485 card attached to an IM-153-1 communications processor in an ET200M remote IO unit. I am not using a Siemens S7 PLC as the Master, but instead using a Hilscher Profibus Master.

There is no entry in the SIEM801D.GSE file for a CP-340 or CP-341, only for CP342 and CP343 modules.

Can I just modify the GSD file and add the CP-340?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I am trying to communicate to an RS485 device via a CP-340 RS485 card attached to an IM-153-1 communications processor in an ET200M remote IO unit. I am not using a Siemens S7 PLC as the Master, but instead using a Hilscher Profibus Master.

There is no entry in the SIEM801D.GSE file for a CP-340 or CP-341, only for CP342 and CP343 modules.

Can I just modify the GSD file and add the CP-340?

Thanks in advance.

Hllo judah;
I am afraid that the use of CPs with the IM 153-1 is restricted to those CPs that do not use the K-Bus for data exchanges with the master. In other words, you cannot use the CP 340 or the CP 341 with the IM 153-1.
For confirmation, see the following link (to the Siemens A&D Mall); open the Description tab, and then the Functions folder. There you will find a table comparing the functions of all 3 models of IM 153-x. You will see that you need at least a IM 153-2 to allow data from a CP 340/341 to be transfered to a DP-master.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
I'm not sure what K-Bus modules are - I am somewhat new to the Siemens line...

The system was being controlled successfully over DP on Bus 2 of a S7-416 CPU. Is the CPU doing something different than standard Profibus/DP that I should not be able to emulate?

Is there any additional documentation on this that might describe the commands necessary to make this work even though it's not officially supported?

So I had the opportunity to do some additional research, and found out that K-Bus is another way of saying MPI.

I also read that the IM-153-1 can be upgraded to an IM-153-2.

But I looked at the GSD file for the IMS-153-2, and it does not reference the CP-340 either? What am I missing?

Also, the new IMS-153-1 allows me to send direct DPV1 commands. Is there a DPV1 command/address that I can use to write to the CP-340?

Thanks!

Can anyone shed any light on how to communicate with a CP-340 via a IM-153-2 using a Profibus Master other than a Siemens PLC?

OK. So now I have an IM-153-2. But the GSD file for this module doesn't have a CP-340 either...

Any ideas?

Hllo judah;
I am afraid that the use of CPs with the IM 153-1 is restricted to those CPs that do not use the K-Bus for data exchanges with the master. In other words, you cannot use the CP 340 or the CP 341 with the IM 153-1.
For confirmation, see the following link (to the Siemens A&D Mall); open the Description tab, and then the Functions folder. There you will find a table comparing the functions of all 3 models of IM 153-x. You will see that you need at least a IM 153-2 to allow data from a CP 340/341 to be transfered to a DP-master.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier