ControlLogix Serial Cable for changing IP Address

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I need to change the IP Address on a ControlLogix. Do I need to use the serial cable that I used the first time to setup
the IP Address or can I still do it over the network ? I cannot find the serial cable I used before. Could you give me the AB Part Number of the cable ?

Thank You so much ,have a great day.

Not sure of the official AB part number but a standard RS-232 2-3 crossover serial cable will work for connecting to the serial port of an Allen Bradley procressor. I built my own cable and it works just fine.

Both connectors are DB9 (Female)

DB9...... DB9
2----------3
3----------2
5----------5

Lots of ways, all of them simple

If you know the IP address of the 1756-ENET/ENBT/EN2T module you can reconfigure it over the Ethernet network.

If you do not know the IP address of the module, you must determine it, often using a network analysis tool.

If the module does not have an IP address (it is set for BootP/DHCP) you can use the aforementioned BootP/DHCP Server utility to set the IP address initially and then use the Ethernet network.

In addition, you can bridge across the ControlLogix backplane from any network, including the serial port of the ControlLogix. The A-B part number for that cable is 1756-CP3, but any "null-modem" wired serial cable will work.

In each case, RSLinx Classic (any license, including Lite) is the configuration tool. Right-click on the Ethernet module and select Module Configuration.

Thanks for the replys . I went ahead and made up a cable. I
forget so many things ,what driver should I use in RS Linx to
access the backplane of the ControlLogix.

Thanks again,