Serial to Ethernet for ControlLogix 5570 Controller

byoko

Hi All,
Looking to get some direction on how to get data from a piece of equipment that has RS-232 communication (1-way) to a 1756-L73 ControlLogix 5570 Controller. I'm attempting to use an RS232 to POE Ethernet adapter from Waveshare (link). The equipment I'm working with is an ADR-50D Universal Closure Monitor (we refer to them as dud detectors) commonly used in the canning industry.

As mentioned before, this equipment utilizes simplex communication, where the equipment is only transmitting data out and not receiving. I've attached an image from the equipment manual outlining the communication setup (IMG 1). From what I can tell, this is not using a standard protocol, so will it require some formatting on the receiving side?

I've also attached a screenshot of the web configuration page for the converter I have (IMG 2). From here you can configure the serial settings to match the equipment, set up IP address, etc. I did have a question on the Work Mode drop down (outlined with blue in IMG 2). This dropdown includes 4 options: TCP Server, TCP Client, UDP, and UDP Group. I'm not exactly sure which option is appropriate (and this is assuming this converter will work for what I'm trying to accomplish).

Is there a way to read in this serial information to my controller, given the known IP address of the converter, and the packet format of the data that will be transmitted?

I just want to know if I'm headed down the right path and need a few bits of info to get there, or if I should be trying a different approach altogether. Let me know if I need to clarify anything or include any additional information.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG 1.png
    IMG 1.png
    231 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG 2.png
    IMG 2.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 24
I swear, I think its a requirement that the overseas developers insert at least one misspelled word in every dialog.
1709303987856.png

This looks like its a serial server and needs a software component on a PC to read from it. TacticalSoftware makes one I use and there are others. I'm not sure how to make a PLC read from it without a custom Socket msg.

I have used ProSoft devices for years, though I haven't used this one:

EtherNet/IP to ASCII - ProSoft Technology, Inc.

ProSoft Technology’s EtherNet/IP™ to ASCII communication gateway allows high-speed bi-directional data transfers between EtherNet/IP™-enabled PACs and ASCII devices such as weigh scales and barcode readers. The EtherNet/IP™ protocol driver supports the explicit messaging implementation. The gateway is user-configurable as both a client and a server.

This should interface directly with your ControlLogix processor.

-Alan

Check out RTA Ascii gateways

That waveshare device is going to make it much harder than it has to be. Use a different gateway.

The reason I say this is because it only offers you TCP/IP or ModbusTCP protocols. That means you have to do socket programming in the Logix, or download AOI's that do the programming for you.

What you have is a "Serial to Ethernet" gateway. You're better off with a "Serial to EtherNet/IP™️" gateway.