RSLinx Ethernet to Serial

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone have experience using serial to Ethernet converters to connect to SLC and Micrologix devices?

I am looking to build a remote access box than can ship to plants for remote access to assist with troubleshooting. I have a cellular modem with VPN and was planning on using an ANC DH+ gateway but am now looking for something that can do serial connections.

I support a number of sites, most of the equipment is connected to our companies network. I do run across equipment from time to time that is not and I am asked to connect. Typically I have to travel on site, and something like this that I could write up some instructions and ship to them would be great.

I was looking at something like this:

https://www.usconverters.com/serial-ethernet-converter-industrial

I think a generic converter that doesn't have smarts specific to the protocols you are converting is going to fall short of your needs.

It has been a few years since I needed to use one, but my go to device for Allen Bradley serial DF1 to Ethernet was the Digi One IAP. Those things are rugged and didn't lock up when the network was hammering them like the (now obsolete) AB 1761-NET-ENI would.

I think Mark sells a 3rd party device like the NET-ENI too.

I have one for DH+ on a Cell modem for just that purpose, but nothing DF1 serial.

Oh wait... Maybe the Prosoft PLX51-DF1-ENI would work. I use that for DF1 radio telemetry from a Ethernet MSG source but it has other options I have not explored.

Make sure you get V10 firmware as earlier version have a DF1 bug I helped locate.

The benefit of a 1761-NET-ENI or equivalent is being able to convert from EtherNet/IP PCCC comms to serial, so you can have Ethernet-capable PLCs or HMIs talk to a serial device.

When your client is a Windows computer, and has a DF1 Full Duplex driver that would communicate with the serial device if it was nearby, then you can use a general purpose "serial port server" if it provides a virtual serial port driver.

Windows takes the data intended for your virtual COM port, wraps it up in a TCP transport, and then the device unwraps it on the other end and sends it out the serial port.

I built a remote access box several years ago that I can ship to customers to use for one time PLC/HMI changes. It has an e.won flexy in it with a FLB3205 wireless cellular card in it. This works for all the ethernet PLC's out there which is most of my remote connection needs.

However I have needed to connect serial to a 5/03 so I added a FLA3301 serial card to the Flexy and connected that way.

I built a remote access box several years ago that I can ship to customers to use for one time PLC/HMI changes. It has an e.won flexy in it with a FLB3205 wireless cellular card in it. This works for all the ethernet PLC's out there which is most of my remote connection needs.

However I have needed to connect serial to a 5/03 so I added a FLA3301 serial card to the Flexy and connected that way.

I like this idea, I am using an e.won as the cellular modem, I hadn't thought to check out the flexy with an add-on card. The idea is to have several of these boxes that could be shipped to a location or carried by another member on the team to provide support while they are on site.

Thank you everyone for your input, was very helpful.