SERIAL TO ETHERNET 1756-L72 (ControlLogix 5572) Controller

myeboah2

hi all,

I have a customer who has a A-B PLC 1756-L72 (ControlLogix 5572) Controller. He support only Ethernet but my device can only go serial..is there a simple way to convert the serial communication to Ethernet for this PLC šŸ™ƒ

Hi..
New control logix type controller does not have inbuild serial port.

Please tell whwhat application your going to use.

Hi..
New control logix type controller does not have inbuild serial port.

Please tell whwhat application your going to use.

That's OK because his device is serial and he's looking for a protocol converter to make it Ethernet.

Although he hasn't provided what his device is so that we could suggest a specific gateway/converter to use.

what information do you need?

If you can describe the device in detail, that would be great. Like "it's a Intellimatic Mark 4 Sandpounder with an RS-232 port".

The type of serial connection is important. While RS-232 is the most common, RS-422 or RS-485 or still other types are possible.

The protocol is probably the most important. Is the communication ASCII ? Modbus ? DF1 ? Morse ?

Is it full-duplex (two way simultaneous) or half-duplex (two way, one at a time) or simplex (one way) communication ?

There are several standalone gateway devices that will interface a serial device to a ControlLogix over Ethernet. They vary in complexity, cost, and performance.

The first four I would look at are the A-B 1734-232ASC POINT I/O modules, the Red Lion DataStation Plus, the Real Time Automation RTA gateways, and the HMS Fieldbus Communicator.

We haven't even gotten to the subjects of data rate, translation performance, or budget.

The simplest DataStation Plus is under $600. Most solutions are going to be in the $500 to $1000 range all told.