Importing/Exporting of Proficy/Cimplicity programs for different versions

Control Freak

Quick question for those in the know...

I'm a machine builder, haven't used GE PLC's in ages, still have Cimplicity Machine Edition - no real need to upgrade until now.

We are retooling an older machine. The end user uses Proficy ver5.7 and has made changes to the original code. I will need to make further changes for this retooling project.

Is there any way for the current user to export the code to a file I can use in my older Cimplicity Version?
OR
If I purchase the latest Proficy Version (ver 8.1 I think) can I export my program down to their version 5.7?

The current version of Proficy Machine Edition is 6.0.

I do not know of anything they can do to export to a version that would be compatible with an older version. Ditto if you purchase 6.0.

I know for a fact that programs done in 6.0 won't open with 5.9.

I have been using the same license for Proficy 5.0, then 5.5, 5.7, 5.9, and now 6.0. This may give you an idea of how to handle it.

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

If you've ever tried using GE's tech support then you know the frustration of waiting on hold, and waiting, and waiting - only to be disconnected... twice!
All for a simple question that any level one tech would easily handle. Thank God for plcs.net!

Anywho,
You are correct - 6.0 is the current version, and from what I've been hearing, their license keys are backward compatible. I have ordered 6.0 and it'll be arriving tomorrow. A collegue has a copy of 5.7 that I'll use for the installation along with the license from the 6.0 version, at least for now.

I would prefer to simply use v6.0, but this would force my customer's entire organization to update all of their versions across the board - simply not a cost effective solution in these trying times.

Another collegue suggested an alternative which involves using the Toolchest to export the individual subroutines from the newer version and import them into the older version. I gave it a try and ran into a bunch of errors and a message about file corruption, and quickly threw in the towel. I believe the hardware configuration would need to be done manually.

But thanks to couple of excellent tech's at a couple of different GE vendors, and of course your thoughtful advice, I think a solution is en route.

Thanks Paul, I'll keep you posted.

Version 5.70 is an "okay" version, but be sure to install the latest Service Pack and/or SIM. Also it is possible that you could run into hardware that is not supported. The Toolchest will work to go backwards but always do the hardware configuration manually when going backwards.

Hi, I would like to check if I downloaded the program using proficy machine 5.90.

Can I upload the program using proficy machine 5.7 from another PC? will there be any error?

Please advise, thank you.

Hi, I would like to check if I downloaded the program using proficy machine 5.90.

Can I upload the program using proficy machine 5.7 from another PC? will there be any error?

Please advise, thank you.
You should start a new thread, with a new question on an unrelated subject instead of adding to a 5 year old thread.

No, there will likely be errors, but try it as nothing should be damaged with just an upload. YMMV
If you can do the download with PME 5.70 and the upload with 5.90, that may work better.