Stupid question

shoelesscraig

Ok, I'mgoing to ask a REALLY stupid question that I think I know the answer to, but to be quite honest, I'm not really sure if I do. You don't know til' you ask, right?

I deal with a lot of SLC 5/03's. When I connect to them at work, I always use the old PIC box adapter and connect to them using the DH-485 port that looks like a phone jack (RJ45 if I'm not mistaken). But, the port below that is the RS-232 port. Do I understand correctly that you can still set that port up to be DH-485 through the channel configuration in Logix500?? Same thing for SLC 5/04 and 5/05? I know that 5/05 are Ethernet, but can the port below be set up for DH-485 as well. Therefor allowing me to connect a PanelView that has a RS-232 style DH-485 connection on it?

Also, on AB's website I see that there are versions of the PanelView that say RS-232 (DF1), RS-232 (DH-485), and just simply DH-485. Am I correct in assuming that the DH-485 is the RJ45 style connector, the RS-232 (DH-485) is to connect to a RS-232 style port that is configured for DH-485, and same thing with RS-232 (DF1)?? Between the DF1 and DH-485 its the same connection, just different speed?? Correct? Sorry for the bonehead questions.

I deal with a lot of SLC 5/03's. When I connect to them at work, I always use the old PIC box adapter and connect to them using the DH-485 port that looks like a phone jack (RJ45 if I'm not mistaken). But, the port below that is the RS-232 port. Do I understand correctly that you can still set that port up to be DH-485 through the channel configuration in Logix500?? Same thing for SLC 5/04 and 5/05? I know that 5/05 are Ethernet, but can the port below be set up for DH-485 as well. Therefor allowing me to connect a PanelView that has a RS-232 style DH-485 connection on it?

I will jump in here until some of the more experienced guys jump in.

You have to be careful. DH485 is a Communications Protocol. So, yes you can set up Channel 0 to DH485 Protocol, to communicate with devices. However, this does not make it Signal and Voltage compatible with the RS485 on the RJ45 connector or other RS485 devices. For that, you will need an interface such as the 1761-NET-AIC.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um004_-en-p.pdf

Also, on AB's website I see that there are versions of the PanelView that say RS-232 (DF1), RS-232 (DH-485), and just simply DH-485. Am I correct in assuming that the DH-485 is the RJ45 style connector, the RS-232 (DH-485) is to connect to a RS-232 style port that is configured for DH-485, and same thing with RS-232 (DF1)?? Between the DF1 and DH-485 its the same connection, just different speed?? Correct? Sorry for the bonehead questions.

I believe you are correct, one is the interface, and the other is the Protocol. You could run an RS-232 connection with the DF1 or DH485 Protocol. However, it is more than just speed. They could both be 19200 KBaud for instance, but if both devices are not set up for the same Protocol, they will not be able to communicate.

Stu.....

You are correct that you can setup the RS-232 (CH0) port on a SLC (5/03 /04 /05) for DH485. When you do this you will need to use the PIC driver in RSLinx to communicate DH485. As sthompson sayed above, the 1761-NET-AIC can be used with the DH485 setup. It is possible to network multiple SLC processors on DH485 if you use a NET-AIC adapter at each SLC.

I wouldn't neccessarily recommend this setup for networking your PLC's, but it is an option. DH485 can be a good way to go if you have existing SLC 5/03's or if you're using SLC 5/04's and say the DH+ ports are used for an HMI network. This is what little I know about DH485, hope this helps.

That does help, thank you both. And yes, I use the AICs to connect 5/03s together all the time because that is the way that our old system already works. I have been slowly converting our new stuff to ethernet with 5/05s. And that is why I was asking b/c I'm getting ready to add a 5/05 to a machine that has a PV 600 that has the RS-232 (DH-485) connections, so I just wanted to make sure that I could configure the RS-232 port on the 5/05 to talk to the PV. Yes, I do have a general understanding of baud rates and such, so I know that all of that has to match. Thanks guys.

Ok, so before, I only used the PIC driver when I was using the old school PIC box (big gray box) to connect through the RJ45 connector. But, you are saying that if my processor has the RS232 port configured for DH485, then I use the PIC driver for this as well?? Even though I'm just using a serial cable and not the PIC box??

Ok, so before, I only used the PIC driver when I was using the old school PIC box (big gray box) to connect through the RJ45 connector. But, you are saying that if my processor has the RS232 port configured for DH485, then I use the PIC driver for this as well?? Even though I'm just using a serial cable and not the PIC box??

Yes, null-modem cable for SLC's serial port configured for DH485 to your PC's serial port ( real serial port to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver)

But it is recommended you use a 1761-NET-AIC+ in-between the two for isolation purposes.

Last edited: