How to set Micrologix RTC from ControlLogix

Xtian4

Problem: We need to have the clocks on all of our PLCs synchronized with our server time. No problem with the ControlLogix, we just write the current time/date to a couple of tags and SSV from the logic, but there isn't any way to set the RTC on Micrologix from ladder. The documentation for the 1100 says you can send a message directly to the RTC to set it, but it seems to assume another 1100 is sending the message. When I try to configure a message from the ControlLogix, it doesn't have any selection for 500CPU Write as a message type. Any other message type errors out or doesn't allow RTC:0 as a destination. I know it can probably be done with a CIP generic message but you've got to know the specific service code, class, instance, and attribute to do so, and AB appears to have chosen to keep all that kind of stuff very arcane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

But that doesn't quite get it. I can successfully send and receive data to/from integer registers, it's having the RTC:0 as the destination that sticks it. And you can't push integers from the logic into the RTC.

And you can't push integers from the logic into the RTC
Yes you can. Use the "CPW" instruction as my picture shows.

See Knowledgebase (you will need a tech connect to view)I don't have one.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21067

21067 - Using the CPW instruction to access RTC data in the MicroLogix 1100/1200/1500..
Using the following firmware releases it is possible to use the CPW Instruction set the RTC from your Ladder Logic.MicroLogix 1100, series A FRN 1 or higher.MicroLogix 1200 Series C, FRN 4 or higher...
Access Level: TechConnect

Last edited:
Thanks, Mickey.

But that command isn't available to me with my 1100 and RSLogix500. Help file says use with 1200, 1400, and 1500. I can't even call it up. And a straight copy or move won't allow RTC:0 as a destination.

Just saw your reply, it seems I don't have the firmware needed. I downloaded the latest 1763-LEC-FRN09_OS.zip but am having issues with the ControlFLASH. I'll keep plugging away. I'll check for other threads on the flash problem.

Just saw your reply, it seems I don't have the firmware needed. I downloaded the latest 1763-LEC-FRN09_OS.zip but am having issues with the ControlFLASH. I'll keep plugging away. I'll check for other threads on the flash problem.

Heres a KB on the subject

1. This can happen because the controller is in RUN Mode: Put the MicroLogix 1100 in Program Mode (PROG), the update will start at the next attempt. Refer TN 36216 Also various communications issues...
    Access Level: TechConnect
    [/URL]

Also that online help is misleading.
What firmware do you have? It should be on the side of your controller.

The "CPW" instruction is under the "File/Misc Tab" if your having a hard time finding it.

See PDF for instruction help if needed

Last edited: