OT: Joysticks to control servos?

Bobbias

I've got no idea where to look for this. I was just asked to see if I could find some 1 axis joysticks to control the servos on a drill press. Apparently I need 2 1 axis joysticks and 1 of them needs some way (I'm not really clear on what my boss wanted) of conmtrolling the vertical axis as well. From what my boss said, they need to be potentiometer ones. He may give me a product number for the servos and some info on the pots that currently control them, but right now this is all I know.

Like I said, I've got no idea where to look for this, or what manufacturers make those things. I'd appreciate any information on where to look for these things, preferably somewhere in canada (the closer to toronto the better, since that's the nearest large city. Though it is about an hour away, give or take.)

I've done some searching on google, but most of the results are bogus, or useless, or small companies that I don't immediately trust (I know not every company concentrates much on their internet presence, but a bad site is a major flag to me to be careful).

In any case, I appreciate any input you guys have on this. This is a bit of an unusual requiest here, which is why I've got no idea where to even start looking.

As far as I know, they're servos. They're already in the field, we're just trying to add some joysticks to control it. I don't have much info on what I actually need now.

Sounds tough. Seems odd that they would be servos, but you never know depending on the size of the drill press.

As far as axis', usually a drill press only has one. So if it has multiple axis', then your talking more about changing a manual mill into a powered mill. Not an easy task on it's own.

Sounds like your a few details short of even getting a good start.

think of a flightstick it has same setup and working.
the signal is very weak and not industrial, there are electric joysticks available for cranes, even the big blue works with pots and joysticks, very common stuff. danfoss has direct interface to hydraulics, a servo motor also has feedback and the drive can be used direct.

Ok, so the other thread here was kinda useless for me. I'm trying to find out that if I can't get this from one of our regular distributers, what distributer/company I should order from. If anyone's got info on the prices and how quick some of those guys get stuff sent out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for the link, but are there any caiadian ETI distributors? Their page hasn't been updated since 2006. Allied has a joystick of theirs, but not a potentiometer one. In fact, none of the joysticks on Allied's site are potentimeter ones.

As an update for anyone interested, my boss pointed out www.P3America.com as a potential supplier. Anyone deal with these guys before? Any info on the pricing/delivery on these guys?

I talked with Senett, but they seemed rather expensive. It sounded like ordering something from them would be overkill for this (he mentioned something about around $1000 base price... I think that's a bit overkill for just trying to control a drill press.)

I'm also trying to get in touch with chproducts. So far email hasn't worked well :/

Last edited:
It sounded like ordering something from them would be overkill for this (he mentioned something about around $1000 base price... I think that's a bit overkill for just trying to control a drill press.)
Would you play a first person shooter with a cheap mouse?

You need think of this as an input device that will increase or hinder productivity. The saw mill industry pays this kind of money for its joysticks since the person positioning logs and saws is doing the same thing as playing a video game all day.

So is the amount of angle on the joy stick controlling the position or the velocity?

I honestly don't know. From what I've heard (not much) they want someone to be able to control 3 axes of motion in a drill press, so I'd assume that you'd want it to be controlling the velocity. I realize that it's never good to go too cheap on something, but $1000 as a base price is still pretty high. We don't need something built to NASA quality or anything, we just need a decent joystick to control a drill press.

Would you play a first person shooter with a cheap mouse?

You need think of this as an input device that will increase or hinder productivity. The saw mill industry pays this kind of money for its joysticks since the person positioning logs and saws is doing the same thing as playing a video game all day.

So is the amount of angle on the joy stick controlling the position or the velocity?

Your post reminded me of a video similar to this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnkIG0RvVkQ

I saw a very similar video involving a CNC mill conversion (manual mill upgraded to CNC controls.)

Brian